Limping arm and injured tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

leezardo

Original Poster
Here is the link to the quick video I just took of Leezardo. (See previous post for more details)

https://youtu.be/8k3siRSF0iM

Could this also be a sprain of some kind? I fed him his mealworms on my marble floor, which is very slick, last week. However, he didn't seem injured afterwards.

Thoughts and suggestions? He goes to the reptile vet on Wednesday.

NOTE: Adding this to the original thread and going to try and take down the newer post per AHBD's suggestion :)

AHBD":2pu57ktp said:
Aw, poor baby. :( Is it swollen ? It looks like it. It's probably either gout or a bad sprain/possibly break. Be sure to take the hammock out of his tank and keep only a low basking log.
Also it would be good to merge this with your original post so all responses can be in the same thread.

leezardo

Original Poster
AHBD,

It does look a little swollen, but not obviously so. The hammock is gone. I covered his turtle shell with a towel covered with a cloth that his nails can't get caught on.

It has been suggested that I put the UV lights under the metal mesh lid. I'll post on the lighting board, but my husband and I don't see how it is possible with what we currently have :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, poor thing! It appears he has sprained or injured it somehow.
You can get the large 3M command hooks to mount it underneath of the screen. He may not be getting enough UVB exposure.
How is he doing today?
Do you want me to merge your two topics instead?

Tracie

leezardo

Original Poster
Thank you for the merge :)

Last night, I got him to eat some calcium dipped mealworms. I also tried mixing the powder in some water and gave it to him through a syringe. It wasn't much, but I just thought I would see how he would take to feeding from a syringe.

My tank is not long enough for both lights to go under the tank. It is metal and has a hinge down the middle. There isn't anything solid for the Command Strips to adhere to (it's a fine metal grate). Even if I suspended them with a wire, one light would have to be in the back on one side, then the front of the other side. They fit perfect on top....wonder if I could have the metal mesh cut and still have them sit on top......or take off one half of the screen. Hmmm.....

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That would work, cutting a hole in the screen would definitely get him more UVB exposure. Or using just half of the screen could work also.
How is he doing today?
Did he seem to mind the syringe at all?

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

leezardo

Original Poster
Went to the vet yesterday and she believes that his tail has an infection and that the damage is due to the retained shed. She did not mention anything about tail rot. As far as his left arm, she could not feel anything wrong, but believes that it is injured. It might have happened in his tank, because it didn't happen while I had him out and about. She said it could be a really small fracture she can't feel.

Treatment includes antibiotic injections every other day for about 2 weeks and oral pain medication 2-3 times a day. I am NOT looking forward to giving him the shots!!! He was not a fan of it yesterday, but they commented on how well he did. He wiggled and puffed his beard, but never turned black and calmed right back down. I have to alternate the shots in his arms, and the needle goes barely under the scale. She also said that he needs the calcium dusting everyday, and that I need to gutload any insects I give him. She said that if I don't, it's like feeding him just a shell. He also needs soaked 3 times a week.

91318-9689551610.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nuochoakenperfume
Top Bottom