Liliwen's Dragon is Shy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liliwen

Hello all! Just need some comfort I think :? I have had my little dragon for 4 weeks now, he has a large (40 gallon is it?) vivarium, wood on 3 sides and sliding glass doors at the front with tile and carpet flooring, 2 shelves at varying levels, a strip reptisun 10 UV and a basking light (100 watt) shielded by netting. On his first level shelf he has a basking log with pretend ivy hanging over and down onto a large rock on the floor which effectively makes for a shaded area under the first level shelf.

At the cool end he has the higher shelf above and a plastic tiered rock affair along with a slate that rests against the first level shelf giving him a slope up and down and another shaded area.

His temperatures are spot on, I have a probe thermometer in the basking spot and a gun.

While he has settled to a large degree, he will not behave in a dragon like manner if I am in the room. He is actually in my bedroom which doubles as my study when I am working at home, it is a large and airy room so when I am working I am not in his face ...lol

He has a favourite sleeping and hiding spot, snugged up in a space under his log on the first level, shielded by the ivy. He can see me but i cannot see him!

Now I have found he does not know I am there if I am in bed! I put his lights on at 7 am and his routine is he will pop up from under his log exactly 1 hour later and sit proudly erect and in hunt mode on his log (which is his basking spot). If I am working from home or at the weekend I have the luxury of being able to watch his antics from my bed...so, I pop in his live food, usually 3 or 4 locusts and 3 or 4 crickets. If I can, I hop back into bed and watch him. He is amazing, until i discovered I could watch like this I did not know he could hop, skip, jump or run so fast! He hunts and munches his catch with such obvious pleasure, takes him almost an hour to find them all!

Then I have to get up! He freezes, so off I go like a good slave and do the morning human routine and prepare his tasty salad. He is often basking when I return and pop in his fresh bowl of salad but as soon as I settle at my desk to work he hides under his log :cry:

I have bathed him with minimal success, he is not the keenest bather! I have a nice hall where he can run around so I sit on the floor with the doors shut and let him wander, hoping he will be curious to check me out, but all he does is wall dance! I have offered him an occasional wax worm on my hand in his home, he takes it of course! I have tried to hold him, he is clearly not impressed but will settle in my hand after a while.

I guess i am disappointed he still hides under his log whenever I come into the room. He will stay hidden as long as he can see me there which can be hours when I am working. Mind you, once he is bigger he will not fit quite so snugly!

He is very healthy looking, performs a glass dance every morning which seems to help him poo! I always find a nice healthy one where he has been dancing... so he is eating and pooing nicely.

Funny thing this morning, I thought he did not eat his salad, I was wrong.... I had been out and walked in my room to see him frozen over his salad bowl with a fluffy piece of kale stuck in his mouth! How I wish I could have got a picture of that, it was hilarious! He looked like a dragon caught out doing something naughty, quality expression on his face but how can you take a baby dragon seriously with fluffy kale sticking out of his mouth?

Ok so, will he ever come round? Is he just an anti social dragon? I am a patient and kind dragon mummy, I work at home 2 days a week, out all day for 3 so he clearly has a wonderful time on those days!

Gail

BD.org Addict
It sounds like he needs more handling and interaction. Having the cage in a room isolated away from the noise and activity of daily human life can also cause this. I really do recommend having the cage in the living room or fairly close so they can see everyone in the house and what is happening.

Liliwen

Original Poster
Hmmmm thanks Gail... there is me pussy footing around him, he looks so miffed when I scoop him out of his hidey hole though! So cute... but he gave me a fright just now when I went to pet him, there is almost a whole second dragon next to him! Last time he shedded it was all bitty, this time he has wriggled out of nearly all of himself lol.. bath time me-thinks! Must be so itchy....

Gail

BD.org Addict
You can't pussy foot around him, you need to act like the queen of the known universe. You still have the skin? I'd like to see a picture of that, its uncommon to come off in large identifiable pieces like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom