Like A Weed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All!

So, Thomas Patrick Phillips has been home with me for officially three weeks now. I was going to wait a month before getting too excited, but it seems I'm doing something right, as this little guy is growing like a weed! He's eating bugs like it's his job! He's even munching at salads (after sitting in them for a while, or course), especially if I wiggle the squash in front of him so he thinks it's worms... :lol:

Here he is the first night I brought him home, December 8th, at 24 grams... Already showing that mischievous personality, it seems... ("It's bed time, get that light out of my face, crazy lady!")
89627-3877722425.jpg
(Working on a shed on his whole head and abdomen, poor thing)

And here he is last night, December 30th, at 50 grams!! (Now working on a shed for all his appendages, guy can't catch a break!)
89627-7638978199.jpg

Haven't measured his length, but he's definitely gonna be a big'un. Might have to open up the rest of his tank soon!

And, just because, here's his 'come hither' look...
89627-4823395028.jpg

"Helloooooo, Lady Lizards!"

Happy New Year, Everyone!!

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That is a pretty serious face! :p (Since the spotty sheds started, he's been getting the milk moustache, apparently.) He just runs around his dragon-safe room for a while, and bellies up to the bar when he's ready for another. :laughhard:

And by bar, I mean a shoebox with an old Jameson T-shirt on top, under his MVB. And by belly- I mean a big ole squishy one! :wink:

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
If it weren't for the milk moustache, I'd think it was probably more like, "Got crickets?" (or worms or whatever other kinds of bugs he likes)

At least he's getting some good UV to make Vitamin D with out of the deal, even if the "bartender" doesn't bring him anything else. Once in a while my beardie used to "belly up" against the glass right under his UV light kind of like that, but lately he doesn't seem to feel the need to get any closer to it than his basking platform puts him when he's all pancaked out. (We recently upgraded to a T5 HO.)

It's fun to watch all the different positions they get themselves into when they're trying to soak up as much heat and light as they can get away with, as well as "The Look" when they want something from their human slaves.

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Dear Mom,

I know you weren't planning on going without me, right? I've been a good boy! I ate all my salad yesterday, and all my bugs... and I weighed 542 grams and you said I did a good job! So maybe I pooped all over all of my rocks right before you were walking out the door, but is that so bad? I thought you liked cleaning them all up, since you do it so often! But I counted these tickets, and I'm pretty sure there isn't one for me. :?
89627-1008441174.jpg

I guess you're going to leave me home all alone today, so sad and lonely in my condo...
89627-7837154967.jpg

But at least I'm going to make it difficult for you to order all your people food for work...
89627-9864907376.jpg

So just think about this sad little face when you're having fun at the game, I'll be here all alone, waiting for you to come home and snuggle with me.
89627-4960922152.jpg

Love (and disappointment),
Thomas Patrick Phillips

Ps. I saw that box come in today. Better have lots of gummy worms for me.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Oh yes they are soooo good at making us feel guilty for not doing every little thing they want, aren't they? :roll:

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yep, little stinker's definitely got the sad puppy face down. I totally would have brought him with me, but I don't believe live reptiles are on the approved list of things you can bring into Camden Yards... (Plus it was a tad chilly, and the game went into 12 innings!!) :lol: Poor baby fell asleep on his basking rock and not in his favorite spot, so he must have been waiting up for us. :cry: Next time, little buddy, next time.

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yep, we got him his own little Oriole! Of which he was not too sure at first...
89627-2758309418.jpg
(Perhaps because it's a bird?? :lol: )

But he warmed up after a while. Didn't want to give it up!
89627-5250225160.jpg

Ps. His bottom lip shed is making him look so pouty and grumpy all the time. Not as good as the milk moustache.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Thank goodness you got him something or I would have been very upset with you.
He looks so adorable with his new stuffie. I love it

I got Richter and Simon (rest in peace, Simon) stuffed peeps for easter and the first thing Richter did was throw his. So unappreciative, but he warmed up to it
89300-7575510400.jpg

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
They're just too darn cute with their stuffies. :love5:

When we first got Puff, my husband wanted to get him a ball to play with, but he didn't seem to relate to it. Now you've all got me thinking of trying him with a stuffie, but knowing him, he's just as likely to be afraid of it... :?

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Haha! Geez, thanks, Richter...

Thomas tried to tail whip his oriole off his basking spot the first time, then gave it the stink-eye for a little while. Then eventually he ran across it a couple times and realized it was soft and squishy and gave it a hug. :D

He did once push a yellow whiffle-type ball around for a few minutes, but that seems to be a one-time thing, as now he just looks at me like I'm nuts when I roll it near him. He never used to be interested in stuffed animals, but he does seem to like this one for some reason. He's probably just finally realizing he's a true Baltimore fan! (Plus their orange matches. ;) )

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
That reminds me of the time I heard a loud "ker-plunk" somewhere in the house and couldn't figure out what it was, and then a little while later I noticed that Puff had apparently kicked his thermo-hygro probe off of his basking platform onto the floor of the tank.

Sometimes I wonder if he does it on purpose because he doesn't want me to know how hot and dry it's getting up there. He seems to like it that way -- a little hotter than most of the bearded dragon books say it should be. I read as many books on the subject as I could get my hands on before we got him, but Puff didn't read the bearded dragon books. :wink:

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi All!

Soooo... The warmness finally arrived! Mom has been taking me out in the sun for a little while every morning before it gets too hot. Apparently, I have freckles and purple stripes! Look at my sun pancake! :lol:
89627-1279827054.jpg

At first, she only held me on her chest, then I got to sit on her lap, and when I wasn't feeling nervous any more, I got fidgety and wanted to sit in the GINOURMOUS salad that was growing outside!
89627-7880653469.jpg
She told me not to eat anything weird, but I totally licked like 100 pieces of green stuff in about a minute! And it tickled my beard!
((Also, she says I have to tell you all not to worry, we don't use any chemicals or pesticides anywhere on our land, she never was out of snatching distance, I was checked thoroughly for mites, no bugs were eaten, I was only in the grass long enough for the pictures... blah, blah, Mom stuff, blah... :roll: ))

After I get all juiced up by the sun, I run around the whole house, following Mom everywhere she goes... Hey! Slow down, Mom! Wait for me!
89627-3795419713.jpg

Then, I did some Gummy Worm hunting, maybe knocked over a few DVD's... You can't hide 'em from me, silly!
89627-6060312865.jpg

Then, me and Dad played a game of Lizard Pong (I won, of course! A nice big gummy worm!)
89627-4844429633.jpg
(Not photoshopped, just mini solo cups! :) )

I decided I wasn't having any veg today, so Mom was being a j erk, and I was not amused...
89627-7777025522.jpg

Whew! After all my adventures today, nothing like a good sleepy dragon snuggle with Mom...
89627-3790543215.jpg

Night Everyone!

-Thomas Patrick Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom