Lights plus heat = big power bill hike!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! ?
I'm hoping to either get him a Zen enclosure or have my carpenter friend build one, by summer.
Wonder about building one with a solid glass back and front opening glass doors? Hate to lessen his view. He really does love watching what's going on around him. He spent a solid 30 mins watching me cook yesterday, since the back faces my kitchen (he's on the breakfast bar). Seems doable to me.?
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":25egol1a said:
With DIY, the only limiting factor is your imagination :)

-Brandon
My imagination has a tendency to get carried away though. ? LOL!
I was looking at turning my Hoosier cabinet into a viv. If all the working mechanisms weren't still in there, I'd give it serious thought. But it's value is still good because of the original condition. Might look for one that isn't, check out 2nd hand furniture stores, etc. I really do like the furniture redo for a viv and most of my stuff is antique so it would blend in.
-Dee

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DragonPete":2igt46wn said:
I'm hoping to either get him a Zen enclosure or have my carpenter friend build one, by summer.
Wonder about building one with a solid glass back and front opening glass doors? Hate to lessen his view. He really does love watching what's going on around him. He spent a solid 30 mins watching me cook yesterday, since the back faces my kitchen (he's on the breakfast bar). Seems doable to me.?
-Dee
I'm in the process of building a new tanks for my eastern bluetongue skinks , eastern water skinks and central bearded dragons using a "similar" build as Zen only mine will have NOT HAVE STUPID MESH SCREEN LIDS ( only I'll have 6mm acrylic sides , 9mm plywood lids, 18mm plywood bases , and either sliding glass front doors or 6mm polished acrylic sliding front doors).
You might be interested in my ideas for your for ever home for your dragon : viewtopic.php?f=75&t=251417

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":935ccimf said:
DragonPete":935ccimf said:
-Dee
I'm in the process of building a new tanks for my eastern bluetongue skinks , eastern water skinks and central bearded dragons using a "similar" build as Zen only mine will have NOT HAVE STUPID MESH SCREEN LIDS ( only I'll have 6mm acrylic sides , 9mm plywood lids, 18mm plywood bases , and either sliding glass front doors or 6mm polished acrylic sliding front doors).
You might be interested in my ideas for your for ever home for your dragon : viewtopic.php?f=75&t=251417
I think I've seen your build, love all the DIY vivs here. Just haven't decided which direction I want to go yet. Considering having the viv on wheels though, I have enclosed sun porch that would be great for him in summer and bring him in when weather cools off.
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
DragonPete":3bdqn9v3 said:
Considering having the viv on wheels though, I have enclosed sun porch that would be great for him in summer and bring him in when weather cools off.
Your ideas sound amazing.

Having a glass back--if it gets in direct sunlight on your sun porch--could be like leaving a baby/dog in a car on a hot day. UV doesn't penetrate glass, but IR does. Not to say it's a bad idea--I think it's a great idea--just something to keep in mind... :wink:

Re-purposing old furniture is cool too. I haunted Habitat for Humanity's ReStores (and other outlets) for six months before coming to the realization that by the time I got through, I wouldn't save any money. Never found exactly (or near) what I was looking for either. (Actually, I did once, but the guy who priced the stuff for the local ReStores had the idea the piece was made of solid platinum or something) Eventually I caved and got to work designing from scratch. :dontknow:

For DIY, crossfire enclosures are a good starting point. :wink:

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":24astm6p said:
DragonPete":24astm6p said:
Considering having the viv on wheels though, I have enclosed sun porch that would be great for him in summer and bring him in when weather cools off.

Having a glass back--if it gets in direct sunlight on your sun porch--could be like leaving a baby/dog in a car on a hot day. UV doesn't penetrate glass, but IR does. Not to say it's a bad idea--I think it's a great idea--just something to keep in mind... :wink:

Re-purposing old furniture is cool too. I haunted Habitat for Humanity's ReStores (and other outlets) for six months before coming to the realization that by the time I got through, I wouldn't save any money. Never found exactly (or near) what I was looking for either. (Actually, I did once, but the guy who priced the stuff for the local ReStores had the idea the piece was made of solid platinum or something) Eventually I caved and got to work designing from scratch. :dontknow:

The 'kid in a car' definately makes you think. ?
I have nothing even close to a plan yet. I know he needs more room. 40 br is NOT big enough for an adult Dragon.
Just no clue what I'm gonna do yet. ?
-Dee

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MrSpectrum":xjfab0z4 said:
DragonPete":xjfab0z4 said:

A glass sided tank outside is a very bad idea , think in terms of a greenhouse and a locked car with the windows all up ==> will very quickly get up into lethal temperatures even on latitudes higher than 40 deg.

What some people here do for their larger skinks, dragons and monitors / goannas is build an aviary style enclosure inside a converted Colorbond retaining wall (like you'll seen in raised garden beds) for their pet lizards who are kept outside 24/7 in the warmer months , some even have their pet lizards in these permanently ( in warmer areas ).
You might get some ideas from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBQWjMR3OP0 .
and this https://www.pinterest.at/pin/371054456797570243/
Guinea pig and rabbit hutches work OK too. So long as the reptile can't dig it's way out.

However having your pet lizard housed in an outdoor enclosure means you need make special provisions to keep local cats , dogs , predatory birds , predatory animals , and sticky figures out.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":28wyi129 said:
MrSpectrum":28wyi129 said:
DragonPete":28wyi129 said:

A glass sided tank outside is a very bad idea , think in terms of a greenhouse and a locked car with the windows all up ==> will very quickly get up into lethal temperatures even on latitudes higher than 40 deg.

What some people here do for their larger skinks, dragons and monitors / goannas is build an aviary style enclosure inside a converted Colorbond retaining wall (like you'll seen in raised garden beds) for their pet lizards who are kept outside 24/7 in the warmer months , some even have their pet lizards in these permanently ( in warmer areas ).
You might get some ideas from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBQWjMR3OP0 .
Guinea pig and rabbit hutches work OK too. So long as the reptile can't dig it's way out.

However having your pet lizard housed in an outdoor enclosure means you need make special provisions to keep local cats , dogs , predatory birds , predatory animals , and sticky figures out.

Thanks for the ideas. ? Petey wouldn't be outside, he would be on an enclosed porch. It's just another room really, with more than average windows because there is a small 3 acre pond behind my house. Extra windows are for the view and nice weather. It isn't out in the open, it's part of my house, like a family room addition. It has heat and AC if needed. I think there was misunderstanding, sorry I didn't explain it well. ?
-Dee

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DragonPete":3g7p8xyz said:
kingofnobbys":3g7p8xyz said:
MrSpectrum":3g7p8xyz said:
DragonPete":3g7p8xyz said:

Thanks for the ideas. ? Petey wouldn't be outside, he would be on an enclosed porch. It's just another room really, with more than average windows because there is a small 3 acre pond behind my house. Extra windows are for the view and nice weather. It isn't out in the open, it's part of my house, like a family room addition. It has heat and AC if needed. I think there was misunderstanding, sorry I didn't explain it well. ?
-Dee

We call that a sunroom or verandah.
If you make sure the cats are kept out , you could if he's big enough and the room is secure ( dragon escape proof) , set up a portable MVB under stand and a hide and let him have the run of the area ( to free range in there - under supervision ).
Thing to remember is no UV will penetrate the window glass and the fly screens in the windows and security door/s will block natural UV from the sun.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Right, sunroom/enclosed porch, etc. Same thing.
Once he gets a little more comfortable with me, we'll have free range exploration time in my guest room and bath area. Its the 1 place that cats are absolutely not allowed into. I plan to have portable lights in there for him to bask or get uvb. We just haven't reached that point yet. Hopefully soon.
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom