Lights for 40 gallon tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caren

We have a 40 gallon tank for each of our beardies (our 14 month old, and the hatchling we are getting tonight!).

For our 14 month old we have 2 of those round light bulb holders that sit on the top of the cage (I don't know what they are called?). Each has a 100 watt bulb in them. And we have a Zilla 15w 120 v Desert 50 UV light with the hood. We have a temperature gauge - just the kind that sticks to the inside of the cage that reads about 93 degrees right now.

My question is, is this an adequate setup? Is the temperature gauge accurate or there a better temperature gauge I should get that is more accurate?

Also we just use regular light bulbs - are these ok or do I need to be using ones specifivpcally for reptiles?

Quick responses appreciated as we are getting our new hatchling tonight and want to get all the lights etc too. Thanks!

Onlymediocre

Juvie Member
Hi, grats on ur new hatchling :) From what I understand the dial thermometers can be way off, you can use any thermometer with a probe on the end, walmart has one in the hardware section that does inside and outside temp (so, hot and cold side) and the humidity for like $12. You can also use an infrared heat gun, I borrowed my husbands for a while to check the temps, but then you have to take the lid off and constantly shoot inside the tank to check the temps, so I prefer the probe one cause I can just glance at it when I walk by, and if you dont alrdy have one, they are kinda pricey. Regular clear household bulbs are fine for a basking light, and the only uvb you should use are the reptisun 10.0 tube (not the coil one) and the arcadia 12%. Unfortunately the Reptisun is like $50 at a pet store, but theres some website ppl post (? maybe someone can link it on here for you?, cause IDK it, lol) that they say is the cheapest place to get the reptisun 10.0. I went on the site once and including shipping it was about $35 to my door, so I personally buy mine off eBay. Theyre someone on there that sales them for 29.99 with free shipping, so thats cheaper for me because of the shipping. Hope this hlps a little :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom