Lights and storms question.. and sleeping question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

Where I live, it rains and thunderstorms often. There's also sometimes heat lightning.

I usually unplug everything when there's lightning. But with the bearded dragon's lights and such.... what do I do about that? Is it safe to keep the lights plugged in, or should I unplug them and maybe take the beardie out a play with it for a while or hold it until the storm passes? How long can it go without lights?

Does anyone know if there is such a thing like a portable phone charger, but one for plugs that use outlets? (does that make sense?)

Also, if a lightning/thunderstorm happens to occur while I'm at school... would the lights and the bearded be safe ? or?... That's what I'm really nervous about. I wouldn't be home to unplug the lights.

--

OTHER question!

Would it be okay to cover the sides of the tank at night with like a blanket while the beardie sleeps? So that light doesn't come through? Because the tank will be in my room, and I stay up my lights on for about an hour probably after the beardie would go to bed. I don't really want to disrupt sleeping patterns.

As long as the screen on the top isn't covered, would it be OK?
~

Thanks!! :D

ChristinaMike

Hatchling Member
Not sure on the storm thing as I live in Cali but I cover ours at night because she is in our den and we are up later than her lights out :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lightning :
The lights should be fine, you can use a surgebuster type power board to protect the electronics in the hoods , but a direct lightning strike (which is unlikely to happen) will kill the electrics (even if turned off but still plugged in (no Zenner diode will handle the pulse of current in direct strike).
A surge will likely also fry the electronics in thermostats and MVBs and the electronics in everything else inside the house that's plugged into a wall socket.

Covering viv at night:
Some people throw sheets over their vivs at night .... I don't see the need (but all my vivs and rearing tubs have solid lids so they hold the warmth in nicely at night and all my gang sleep fine in the living area of the house (they are very accustomed to our night time routine and like to watch tv with us (from either on us , or next to us, or from inside their tubs and vivs .... they even have favorate shows).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that at least a surge protector is a good idea to protect the lights during storms. You could also hook them up to a computer battery backup which will give them some surge protection along with a little bit of run time during a brief power outage.

I haven't found that the ambient lights bother them too much, especially if it's only for an hour or so. My tank is in my living room and the lights don't seem to bother my guy. You can certainly cover the sides or build some kind of curtains though if you want to.

PDotson

Yeah, a surge protector is the best thing to install to protect the home from storm. Moreover, people who live in the region where storm occurs usually, need to take more care of the home. My sister lives in Miami, which is the region where storm or hurricane occurs very often. She has gone with the installation of hurricane windows Miami to protect her home from being damaged. The hurricane impact windows hold the capacity to withstand in any heavy storm. I am really impressed by this idea of protecting home and thinking to give a try by renovating my home with the installation the impact doors and windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom