Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstein821

Hi all

I have looked everywhere i can npt find the answer. Do i use the basking bulb and the red bulb all day long or is one day and one night? I have a ceramic bulb comming but for now i use the red all day and turn the basking off after 12-13 hoirs. Am i doing it wrong should it just be basking day and heat at night. My hoise gets cold at night ny on the water.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. You want a bright white basking light. No heat source at night unless your house gets below 65. The red bulb is junk.

bstein821

Original Poster
Hi tha ks for the reply

yeah i heard that i have a ceramic on the way. My hpise does just location even with heat.

So i dont use the heat and the basking together just the basking and the cub?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
All beardies need is a bright white basking light and a good uvb like the reptisun 10.0 T5 tube bulb. That's it. I have never used any heat source at night. Beardies like it dark and cool at night.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When you are using the CHE on cold nights, it just needs to be either powerful enough or at appropriate distance to bring the tank temps into the low 70s. As mentioned, it isn't needed unless the temps in the tank drop below about 65 or so overnight. During the day, all that is needed (as mentioned) is a bright white light that produces adequate temperatures and a good UVB light set at an appropriate distance to provide sunlight levels of UVB over the basking area.

bstein821

Original Poster
Great thank you. The setup xame with a reptisun 5.0 but I just bought a 10.0 on amazon ive read on here that its better for a beardie. Shoild i jave a thermostat i have a digital tgermometer coming aswell

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 10.0 versions are better. Do you know if it's a T8 tube or a T5 tube or a compact? That makes a difference too.

A digital thermometer is essential to get accurate surface temperature readings so it's good that's on the way. A thermostat is nice to have but not necessary. If you can adjust the wattage and the height of the basking light to produce a good temperature gradient across the tank that should be enough. A thermostat just automates the output (via dimming) to keep everything fine tuned within a specific range. For the money, it's more important to use a high quality UVB light.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK. Is it a 26w version? If so, it should be about 6-8'' above the basking area. The 13w version isn't powerful enough to be effective for a dragon.

bstein821

Original Poster
I have to look again if its 13 ill cancel and order a 26 watt .

Best place to get them inexpensive because amazon didn't really have that one

bstein821

Original Poster
I found the exo terra repti glo 26watt 10.0. Is that one the same as repti sun quality wise? Or the reptisa?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's the older version of the Exo Terra coils. The 26w should be OK but out of the two I'd prefer using one of the more modern UVB200/150 bulbs. Out of the coil bulbs I actually prefer these to the compact ReptiSun. Ultimately I think you're best off saving up for a T5 tube though. Either a ReptiSun 10.0 T5 or an Arcadia 12%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom