Lighting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
I am using a T5 HO bulb (39 W) across the open top of my dragon's tank (no screen.) The hood for the bulb has a reflector.

My ?: How many inches down will the light go? Currently, his basking spot is 17 - 18 inches below the
lamp, but the floor of his tank is more like 22 inches away. I'm most concerned about the light reaching him when he is on the floor of his tank.

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as he can get to a high UVB area that's enough. You don't need high levels of UVB throughout the tank. It's actually better to create a gradient so you have high UVB available and also areas with little to no UVB. They will move around to get what they need at any given time.

That said, the T5 with a reflector will generally reach quite a good distance. Optimal output is usually between about 12-14'' so I like to set the main basking area about that far from the bulb. You can put a branch or something like that a little closer to provide that option, and it's good to have shade areas and some basking areas a little further away in case he just wants heat.

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the info. Currently, the UVB only goes about 1/2 way across the tank and allows him plenty of a "no uvb"/shade zone.

I will definitely need to get his basking spot a bit closer. I think I"ll try a giving him something to climb on.

He's such a tiny, little guy right now and it's taking me a few days to get it all sorted out. And of course, I'm a bit of a nervous mama, too!

Thanks again!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds good. It will take some constant little tweaks but after a while you'll get an idea for what he prefers. After general setup recommendations it really comes down to tweaking it for their individual preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom