Lighting/Temps Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah such a generic subject line. I'm the poor soul that lost his bearded dragon due to my cat getting a hold of it. Only had the poor guy for about a month. Anyway....

The local pet store got in some new babies dragons, so I decided to grab one. He's a litle guy about 4 1/2 inches.

Anyway, my question is about the temps. I have two lights. Powersun 100 watt, and just a standard 60 watt light bulb. I believe it's 29 gallon tank. (12x30 inches)

The 60 watt bulb creates a basking temp of about 110F, give or take a few. The powersun 100 watt I believe is about 90-95F.

I would think it should be the other way. Do I need to worry about his staying under the non UVA light, more then the Powersun? Should I have gotten the higher wattage Powersun light?

Off the subject, but another question.

I have Rep-Cal Calcium with VIT.D3, and Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamins. I should dust the crickets 5 days a week with the calcium, and 2 days a week with the multivitamins? Did I get good calcium dust, and multivitamins??

Thanks guys, great website.

WAFisherman

Hatchling Member
Is the powersun a MVB?

Do you have a cool side and warm side? I'd use the MVB for the basking spot. If you have trouble getting the temps up to about 110 (as it sounds like you are), then see what you get when you move the 60 watt bulb to the warm side, but not pointing at the basking spot (just raising the ambient temps of the viv). Yes, it makes sense that some bulbs can make a warmer basking spot than others despite lower wattage.

If you are providing sufficient UVB, then you do not need calcium + D3. Just calcium (and the vits are good as is).

You'll need a bigger viv soon...

Also, how are you measuring the temps? A temp gun would be great, but a ditigal probe would be good as well. Forget the stick on stuff from the pet shops...

access0denied

Original Poster
I have a temp probe. He moves around all over his cage. Seems to be eating as he should.

A link to the powersun light.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752615

Another thing, i've noticed. He seems pissy when I pick him up. Usually once I have him in my hand, he seems to mellow out. Yesterday he actually bit me. But over the past two days, he always opens his mouth at me/hissing. Not sure if it's him, or something I'm doing wrong. My last bearded dragon was so much nicer then this guy.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
It takes some babies a while to get used to people. I've read (not experienced) that some beardies have relocation stress when you move their water bowl 2 inches.

access0denied

Original Poster
hmmmmm, i'm been moving him between the living room to the spare bedroom. Can't trust my cat. Sometimes the lights get messed up. And get the lights flip flopped between he two different sides.

WAFisherman

Hatchling Member
OK, that buld is just a UVA bulb. You NEED a GOOD source for UVB. Reptisun 10 (tube type) or a Mega-Ray MVB bulb (heat + UVB in one).

dobiegil2000

Hatchling Member
The link you provided is for a powersun and indicates it is a mvb that provides uvb light also. Please double check the box before you go out and buy another. If you do, then you really need to be careful with the size of your cage.

robin

WAFisherman

Hatchling Member
Sorry, my bad. That is a good MVB that does provide UVB. So my intial post was correct.

Put the MVB bulb as close to the basking spot as they reccomend in the directions. Usually about 12 inches. If temps at the basking spot are not enough, your ambient temps are probably too low. You should raise the overall temps of the viv with the secondary 60watt house bulb. That is pretty much what I do with mine and it works fine in the 40gal breeder tank. But the room they are in tends to be around 80degrees, so my ambient temps start out higher than most.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What is the height of your tank? Usually a MVB isn't recommended in anything smaller than a 40 gallon breeder because with a 100 watt, you need a minimum of 12" from the bulb to the basking area and the MVB's do throw out a lot of ultra violet rays. I have heard that the Power Sun's don't throw out as much heat as a T-Rex or Megaray though. First make sure that your MVB is at least 12" away from the basking area, then lay your probe end right on the basking surface, wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising, then you will have the basking temp. If that temp is lower than 105 to 110 (but no higher) then you should use a lower wattage household lightbulb but you might not need a 60 watt with those 2 bulbs alongside each other, might only need a 40 or even a 25 watt.

You will also need to check the cool side temp by laying the probe end so that it is laying way over on the opposite side of the tank on the bottom, wait about 45 min, then you will have the cool side temp which should be 75 to 85 with 80 being ideal. If the cool side temp is too hot, then you can raise the MVB up a little more and increase the wattage of the household bulb in the basking site if needed. Even at 18" away, your beardie is still getting the benefit of the MVB. Let us know how you make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom