Lighting questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

0chocinc0

Okay so ive been doing a lot of reading about lighting set ups and i feel like im doing it wrong. I bought a 40 gallon tank made by national geographic that came with a foam rock wall. It came with 2 dome light fixtures including a heat lamp and a compact uvb bulb. The uvb bulb is my concern. Ive read your supposed to mount a tube uvb UNDER the screen but my dragon loves climbing on the rock wall and im scared she will touch the light and burn herself. Where can i find a reptisun and housing for the lowest price? Is mounting it on the top of the screen going to work? This is her current setup.

86042-6982922866.jpg

ruben0311

Juvie Member
the compact flourescent bulbs use to cause issues but most well know manufacturers have made adjustments to make them safer, however, the issues arise from mounting them too close to the animal as they are extremely strong only on within a small area, that means that in order for the reptile to receive the needed UVB exposure it would have to be pretty close to the bulb but since the output is not in a wide area the gradient is very drastic. For a 40 Gal a tube is more effective and safer for your little buddy. If you got a T5 HO bulb you'd be able to safely place it on top of the screen so that the effect that the screen has on minimizing the UVB will not be so much.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
see if moving the lights more towards the front of the cage makes him follow it, i wonder if he is actively seeking the lights or just likes that spot. Is that the heat bulb or the UVB that he's under by the way?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Most of the compact bulbs are effective at a limited distance (about 6'') and their output drops dramatically beyond about 8-12''. In a tank that size, I highly recommend using a T5 tube in a reflective fixture which will provide daylight levels of UVB at 12-14'' and work well through a screen top. She is probably moving closer to the light by moving up the wall in order to get adequate exposure.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
hey coop, have you tested out those kinds of bulbs yet? or got any quick references to check out the distances and what not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom