Lighting questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning on buying a 4' by 2' by 19" tall Viv soon. If the basking light is 12-15" above the basking area, what wattage bulb should I use? Or how close should the basking area be to the light? Thanks in advance. I'm new here and have not yet owned a beardie, but can't wait to own one. I'm glad I found this forum. I've seen so much useful information here. :)

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
I would get a 75-100w basking bulb (assuming you're not using a MVB uvb bulb), and use a fixture with a dimmer on it. That way you can adjust it to get the right temp on the basking surface. Be sure to check it every once in awhile, and adjust as needed.

carlisv

Hatchling Member
For the basking light you can use a plain old household bulb. Don't let pet shop folks convince you that you have to have a "basking bulb". It's just for heat, which incandescent light bulbs all give off, so you can get a 60, 75 and 100 watt CLEAR bulb (no "soft white" or "reveal") and just see which one works. We have an adjustable light stand that we can move up and down depending on the temperature in our house, so we have a $2 100 watt in there that works for winter but it's too warm in the summer so we change to a 75.

TJreptiles

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, I'll probably go with the household bulb. I'll go to my local lowes and get some tile for substrate and get the household bulbs there. And it's the same way here. Hot and humid in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter. (WV) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom