Lighting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitchMitch

I have a 6/7 month old Beardie. I have been so confused on lighting.... can someone help?
I have a 40 gallon Terrarium. It has a screen top that locks on.
I have a 100Watt Basking tight beam bulb on the basking side.
I have a 13Watt coil UVB 10.0 Repti glo that I want to get rid of after getting some advice here. Also on the basking/Hot side.
Then I just have a 50Watt sun bulb on the other end to keep the cooler side at a good 75 degrees.
At night I use the Night bulb (he doesn’t mind it and it keeps the temp nice in the tank - about 70ish)
I use the digital thermometer to get my temp readings.

I want to get rid of that coil uvb bulb.... but I have so many lights and not a lot of tank top! If I were to get the 100Watt PowerSun MVB - would I be able to ditch the 100Watt basking tight beam? Would that offer the heat and the UVB?

Tigg

Juvie Member
You are correct the MVB bulb will provide heat and light for basking as well as a lot of very healthy UVB. it will also last a lot longer (good for 1 year) than many of the flourescent bulbs.

Only thing to keep in mind is that the MVB bulb MUST be a MINIMUM of 12" away from your BD at all times.

MitchMitch

Original Poster
I couldnt find any reptisuns in stock and really wanted to get that coil out asap. My poor guy is ill'n with parasites already - didnt want to add more stress. Store didnt have any MVB lights either.
i did purchase a T5 double linear strip - 30inch /its 2 18watt dessert 7%UVB fluorescent tube lamps. Its an actual fixture. It has the built in electronic ballasts (not sure what that means)
I didnt know if this was right or not... but it seemed much better than what i had!
I hooked it up when i got it home.. and he actually seems perkier!
It almost runs the entire length of the tank now. Not just a coil bulb in one spot anymore.
It has an acrylic lens covering the lights which can be removed for maximum UVA and UVB output... i have not taken that lens off tho.. should i?

Tigg

Juvie Member
It is a step up from the light you had. and Yes you should definitely remove the plastic lens (this is used for aquariums to stop water from splashing on the bulb) also if there is any screen on the top of the tank you should consider cutting it, or leaving the screen top half open and letting the UVB light shine right through.

Screen/Mesh can filter out up to 50% of UVB... it's fine to shine your basking light through the screen as it will filter much light or heat.

Congrats on the new set up, and good luck with your BD

MitchMitch

Original Poster
I can not thank you all enough.. i was so lost. This is a GREAT site!!! With GREAT people!
:D Thanks again... and yes.. i will remove the plastic lens then.

Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom