Lighting question...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,
I have 2 beardies and I have been struggling with certain type light fixtures... I have my reptiglow 10.0 bulbs both in 24" aquarium fixtures. I am also a saltwater addict, therefore I have a few old light fixtures from my glory days in the saltwater hobby. I am wondering if there would be any kind of detrimental effects from me using a t5 light fixture that I used to use on one of my tanks (ATI t5 x6 bulb fixture) Obviously I would have to change the bulbs out but would this light be too much? I have a set of hanging bars for the light that I hung it like 14" above the water (rim of tank).
Could I use some kind of white bulb for basking and then reptiglow/retptisun for uvb? Opinions?

Thank you in advance.

Here is the fixture in question. https://www.marinedepot.com/ATI_48_Inch_6x54W_SunPower_T5HO_High_Output_Fixture_T5_Fluorescent_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-ATI-UZ3011-FILTFIT5-vi.html?source=bingshopping&utm_source=bingshopping&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=bingshopping&utm_content=UZ3011&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bingshopping(BSC)&utm_term=1100310865874&utm_content=adgrp1

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
The type of flourescent tube fixture you use makes absolutely no difference, as long as it's rated for the UVB tube appropriate for a bearded dragon. So if you want to buy one of these UVB tubes available for a bearded dragon, either a Reptisun 10.0 T5 High-Output or an Arcadia 12% (Reptiglo is a subpar UVB tube known to cause severe eye issues in bearded dragons, some use it, but there is absolutely no question about the Arcadia 12% or the Reptisun 10.0 T5 High-Output UVB tubes) as long as the fixture you're using is rated for the wattage (Reptisun 10.0 T5 High-Output is a 24 or 25 watt tube) and THE FIXTURE HAS ABSOLUTELY NO GLASS OR CLEAR PLASTIC COVER OVER THE TUBE, then it's fine. UVB light does not penetrate glass or clear plastic at all, and some aquarium fixtures have covers on them over the tubes, you want nothing between the tube and your beardie. Also, the 10.0 T5 tube must be within 11" of your beardie's main basking spot to be effective, so the fixture must allow for that. Otherwise, it makes no difference.

Dragonsandherps

Original Poster
Well ****! Why do they sell bulbs geared towards BD but it turns out they cause issues?? I bought (2) 24" reptiglo bulbs alongside my basking bulbs. (1 per lizard) Once I split my 2 up. So now I have 2 junk bulbs that it took me like 2 months to afford the 2 bulbs. Grrrrr!! Well next time I can afford it ill get one of the bulbs listed above. Is the reptiglo a sure fire eye damaging bulb? I don't want to injure my guy's eyes but I think we were lucky to avoid mbd and digestive issues when they were living without uvb (except for 1-2 hours a day outside with me or a kid)
Sorry for the reaction but it is a bit frustrating. ✌
Thank you,
Dan

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Has your dragon had any eye issues from the bulb, that you can tell?
The Reptiglo tubes have caused eye & health issues, but not nearly like the compact/coil lights
have. The Reptiglo tube bulbs are "ok" but as mentioned, they don't have a very high quality of
UVB:UVI ratio. What makes them hard on the eyes is that they tend to not be as bright as other
tube bulbs just placing strain on the eyes overall.
How far are they from your dragon's basking spot?
We usually recommend using a nice bright halogen light, the PAR38 style is good & doesn't cost a whole lot.

Tracie

Dragonsandherps

Original Poster
I haven't noticed any eye issues at all yet. I decided I will use the light for a couple of hours a day and then still take them outside as much as possible until I can afford the reptisun or Arcadia bulbs.
The basking lights I have are 75w basking bulbs. I will look into a good halogen bulb when this one quits. Are there any kind known issues that are caused by regular basking bulbs? I think mine are a reptile brand (maybe zoo med?). I definitely don't want to cause them unnecessary harm.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The ZooMed Repti Basking Spot lights are fine. I used them for years but just found them to be quite fragile when moved or for traveling. I started using PAR38 halogen flood lights instead since they're a bit cheaper and MUCH sturdier. They also handle dimming pretty well while the reptile basking bulbs would hum and flicker when dimmed.

Dragonsandherps

Original Poster
I have noticed that the basking lights from the pet store are quite fragile... I used to work at the lfs I bought the bulbs from so if I had a problem the manager just swapped them out for one that worked. (old job perks lol)
I noticed today that every time my Bruce sees Natasha out of her tank, he beards up or starts bobbing his little head. I just separated them like 2 weeks ago and they both went through some withdrawl symptoms but they both seem to be doing ok now. I have had them out at the same time and they don't pay one another much attention but when she's out and he sees her he gets really :angry5: !!!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom