Lighting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PogoLover

Juvie Member
I have a Reptisun 10.0 T8 tube running the full length of Pogo's viv cage for UVB. I replaced it after 5-6 months to insure that the UVB is still strong. It is in a reflective fixture and the screen top of the cage has been cut out to ensure maximum saturation.

My current heat/basking light is a spot light - no matter what I do, I can't get the spot light to work with the set up because the beam is small and makes a hot spot that is too hot at the height I need my beardie's basking spot to be at in order for her to be close enough to the UVB.

Does anyone know of a good flood/diffuse light that will heat a 50 gal viv, plus not create one really hot spot that is too hot? Most of the bulbs I have seen say "spot" on them - and I know that won't work if they really mean spot. Note that Pogo is a freak and she likes to be really hot in her basking spot (she will sit in 115-120F and not gape), so it's OK if the recommended light makes a 115-120F area toward the top of the cage - I just cant' have a 130-150F spot anywhere so she won't get burned and these spot lights seem to give me at least one spot with 130F+ no matter how I re-arrange the furniture/ledges! I am testing at close range with a temp gun, so I know that my readings are not that far off.

Right now Pogo is in a 10 gal tank and actually seems happier than she was in her big viv while I sort out this lighting situation (she also is being treated for potential septic arthritis, so I don't want her in the big cage due to fall risk and the fact that she is not running around much while her feet get better).

Note also that I keep a space heater on in her room during the day and a CHE on at night (I live in Maryland and it can get really cold in that room during the winter), so that helps with the overall heat situation (meaning the bulb is not going to have to overcome a 60F ambient temp; with the space heater going it stays at 72-75F in the overall room). I can turn the space heater down if the light is making the viv too hot.

PogoLover

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Linziehonn":3pzom7a5 said:
I ran into the same issue with some Zilla bulbs I use to buy, so I found these on Amazon and they work just like I need them to. They don't have that one quarter sized spot that gets insanely hot while everything around it isn't hot enough. I also use them w/ dimmer lamps in all 4 of my enclosures, so I can easily adjust the temperature.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunning-Terrariums-Provided-Reptiles-Amphibians/dp/B00LMS3330

Thank you! I may try those. Right now I am testing some bulbs we have laying around just to see what they do in the viv (I can test since Pogo isn't in there right now), but I put those ones you cited on my Amazon wishlist, so I will remember!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom