lighting question, is this too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megan1961

I have a big 75 gallon tank for my beardie! He is a year old and loves to run around. I recently made him a basking spot that was closer to the lamp that he could climb on it, so i switched from the 100W bulb i was using (which made the basking spot 98) to 75W because the higher wattage was way too hot with him being closer! The basking temp now ranges from 100-110 maybe a little more and i am wondering if this is still too hot? The lamp is about 10+ inches from his basking spot, so i am kind of surprised it is still that hot.
Also i am using a temp gun to check all of this.
Any suggestions? And what are the ideal temps for a basking spot for a year old beardie?
Thanks in advance!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as you're not over 110, you're not too hot as far as safety goes. You shouldn't be having a 10 degree+ fluctuation at your basking site though. Are you measuring from the same spot each time?

At a year old, your dragon might start liking it a bit cooler like in the 105 range, but really it's one of those things that you just need to know about your dragon. I had a 1 year old that liked it at exactly 103, and I had another who wouldn't bask at all if her temp wasn't exactly 98.

-Brandon

Megan1961

Original Poster
Yeah the middle of the basking spot got to 113 so ill switch, but the farther I moved out it went down to 100 if that makes sense.
He doesn't gap the whole time, but it seems a tad hot. He goes to the cooler side when too warm. Think 50W would be good?

MauDragon

I'd like to suggest using a dimmer and so you wouldn't have to change the wattage of bulbs again. You should go for a 100 wattage bulb so you can have a wider range of temperature changes when dimming. Just dim the bulb little by little 'till you get the ideal temperature. :D Sorry, if my English is incorrect.

MauDragon

I think they have one at most hardware and home improvement stores. Sorry, I don't really know because I live in the Philippines and we only have few stores. Maybe someone in your area can point you to the right direction. This is a video tutorial of how to make a dimmer switch:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e9Rk7_B8GY Credits goes to the owner of the vid! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom