Lighting Question! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lturcot0

I am a new beardie owner and I had a quick question about the lighting I need to be using. I have a 40 gal breeder tank and I got Rex in March as a baby (about 6 in long) but I do not know how old he is. Anyways I am currently using a UV tube ReptiSun2.0. It was hard for me to find a ReptiSun light because the stores near me sell ReptiGlo and I have read that those are bad. Rex also has a basking light on him and his basking temp stay between 100-110 F. Is this ReptiSun 2.0 alright? Also what exactly is a MVB bulb? If I got one of those would he still need a basking light? Is a red light alright at night time or should I just leave no lights on? Last night the temp in his cage got around 65F and I think I know this is too cold for him but I wasnt sure if the red light would disrupt his sleeping. :oops: I turned his red night light back on. I no longer use the stick on thermometers but instead now have one with a probe so I believe theses temps to be accurate. Thanks for any advice!! :D

SJM

Hatchling Member
You have a ReptiSun.. 2.0? You should try to get your hands on a 10.0. It would be better for your beardie and it shouldn't be too hard to find if you use the internet.

I got mine here:
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Zoo-Med-Reptisun-Ten-10-0-Fluorescent-Bulbs?sc=2&category=19

and I use this hood:
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Smart-Light-Fluorescent-Fixtures?sc=2&category=22

The service was good and it got to me exactly when they said it would. Make sure to read everything VERY well so that you get a hood that fits your light.

The MVB bulb is a two-in-one. People use it when they don't want to mess with multiple light fixtures. I, personally, don't like the MVB, so if you want to go that way someone else who knows more about it can help you. n____n

65 is a little low for night temps, but I wouldn't panic. The temps of your house can affect the temps in the tank fiercly, so if you have AC on during the night you could turn it off or urn it down. The red light will disturb him, as beardies can see the full spectrum of colours. If it comes down to it, you can get a lightless heat emitter or a under-tank heating pad. If you get either of these you should monitor them for the first few nights to make sure they don't overheat for some bizarre reason.

Hope this helps! Sorry for the lengthiness.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
The Reptisun 2.0 is not a bad bulb it just has really low UVB emissions. Unfortunately, your beardie will not benefit much at all from it. The Reptisun 10.0 is the best fluorescent linear tube UVB. They are actually much cheaper to buy online. Here is another site that carries the ReptiSun 10 and it is also one of the cheapest http://www.petmountain.com/product/fluorescent/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html

The MVB(mercury vapor bulb) like SJM mentioned is both your UVB and basking/heat in one bulb. They are actually the best source of uvb for a beardie. In order to use a mvb you must have at least a 40 gal breeder tank, due to the amount of heat/uvb they put out. Depending on the wattage of the mvb, the minimum distance from bulb to beardie is much greater than that of the fluorescent uvb's. They also last longer than the fluorescent tube uvb's, only needing to be changed every 12 months compared to every 6 months for the fluorescents.

Also as SJM mentioned the colored bulbs at night do not allow proper sleep for beardies. If you do need added heat at night, you would want a CHE(ceramic heat emitter)heat w/o light. Only if the temps in the viv fall below 65 degrees do you need to add heat(but never light).

Sorry SJM....but we do not reccomend any type of heating devices such as under tank heaters or heat rocks, due to the possibility of burns. Beardies do not sense heat well with their bellies and do not know to move if it is too hot!

SJM

Hatchling Member
Gulfbrz is right, and I stand corrected. There is a proper way to ensure safety with a heat pad, but it's more hassle than you need and the CHE Gulfbgrz mentioned is much easier. Heat rocks are one of the worst things you an do, and heat pads without proper measures is just as bad.

lturcot0

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your help! This is great! I am going to look into a MVB or a ReptiSun 10.0!

THANKS!!! :blob5:

Liz and Rex

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
You are quite welcome, Liz!

BTW.....I have a Rex also(if you couldn't tell by my sig :lol:)

Good luck and Enjoy your new little guy.....they are wonderful creatures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom