Lighting in my new viv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im finishing up the plexiglass in my viv and im going to be working on the lighting next. The enclosure is about 5 feet long, 3 feet wide, and 1 1/2 feet deep. Im thinking about a reptisun 6" flourescent bulb and a basking bulb at the corners of each end, and two of the red 24 hour heat bulbs in the middle. Im just wondering if this is gonna be enough for my BD or if it will bake him and i should use less lights.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
I would suggest getting a single 48" reptisun 10.0 to run most of the length of the tank instead of using two smaller bulbs. It'll cost you less and cover more area.

I'd also ditch the red lights, they're pointless with dragons. During the day your dragon needs lots of bright clear (not coloured) light to thrive. At night there should be no lights on in the tank as these can disrupt your dragon's sleep. At night you only need additional heat if the temperatures drop below the low sixties, otherwise the cooldown is natural and healthy for them. If it does get too cold at night, you could use a ceramic heat emitter to bump the temps up a bit.

Just a heads up, you can use a regular lightbulb or a halogen flood light as heat/basking lights in your tank - no need to pay more for a petstore heat bulb. All you need is something that puts off bright clear light and enough heat to get the temperatures where they need to be (100-110*F basking spot, 80*F cool side).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom