lighting help

Status
Not open for further replies.

360waves123

Hatchling Member
whats the farthest a dragon can be from a uvb bulb my dragon is about 19 inches away from the floor and 17-18 when hes basking on the rock is that ok ? mounting the bulb inside is not a option sadly. and if thats to far i got some small amazon boxes i can set his basking rock on to make him closer to the lights if that would be fine ? he will be able to get onto the boxes to get to the rock if it i do that

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you can't bring the bulb closer, you need to bring the dragon closer.

I assume you have a reptisun 10.0 and not an MVB right? If so, 6-8 inches UNOBSTRUCTED is the recommendation. Since you are obstructing the bulb with a screen, you should try to add a reflector to your fixture.

The difference between the uvb rays that will reach your dragon at 6-8 inches and the rays that will reach your dragon at 19 inches is over a 4x difference. Which means your dragon is getting 4x less UVB than he should be getting in a proper setup.

-Brandon

360waves123

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thankx brandon i put some amazon boxes in there so he can be closer heres a pic do you think he will get harmed from the boxes or anything ? http://i40.tinypic.com/2nr0s1w.jpg he easily get to the rock without a problem. and he stays on the rock most of the day except when i take him out or when hes eating

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That should be fine. you could go to a home improvement store and pick up some pavers or bricks to make a bit of a ramp or basking spot up closer. Just make sure you clean them first.

Curiously, why can't you mount that fixture inside the tank?

-Brandon

360waves123

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok thankx also do you know the recommended time for them to be in the sun to get the right amout of uvb. im gonna take him out so hes for sure getting enough..and because moneys a little tight after just buying a bigger cage to take him out of his 10g

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Half an hour of time outside should be great.

Just make sure you are not keeping him in a glass tank outside as the glass amplifies the heat.

-Brandon

360waves123

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok thankx. he wont be in a tank outside i give him baths everyday at 2 that last untill 230 and i always keep him out to hang around with me after the bath untill 3 30 so he can stay tame so ill take him outside for 30 min before sense hes gonne be out the cage anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom