Lighting Help for Newbies (:

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
That's good!
What substrate do you use? I used to use a UTH under slate tile when my beardie lived in a 40 gallon. You just don't want them to be able to dig under the substrate and touch the UTH, and it is also best to have it on a thermostat. I don't really recommend using them though, since beardies can't sense heat from below them. CHEs are a much better source of night time heat.

And you're welcome!

am917

Zoo Med Eco Reptile Terrarium Carpet. It's velcroed to the bottom of the tank so he can't get under it. At least for now he can't I know when he gets bigger he will. I'll get the CHE then. I will feel better and it will save me sleep as I have been getting up in the middle of the night checking the temp. Thanks again for all the imput it really helps!

littlesavedgirl

Hatchling Member
Jes, I never knew I had to have her basking spot on the same side as the UVB Reptisun 10.0 bulb... :roll: Back to the drawing board :study: ..there really is alot to learn.

am917

this is off topic but I have one other question we bought the Med Water Fall for the WD could we use it in the viv for the Bearded?

littlesavedgirl

Hatchling Member
I'm a newbie too but I do know a beardie and Water Dragon's have different humidity needs. A WD is a tropical repi so it needs higher humidity and a Beardie is a desert repi so it needs a low humidity habitat under 30%, I think but not sure how high a WD's humidity should be. So I would think that a fountain, though attractive, should raise the humidity and could cause Upper respiratory problems.

am917

That would make sense, although, it really didn't help with the humidity with the WD it was more for drinking water since they don't drink standing water. I think I will just leave it out, no need to add something that would make the little one sick! Plus it was a pain in the back side to clean. Thanks for your feed back. :D

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
littlesavedgirl":kjflb2xw said:
Jes, I never knew I had to have her basking spot on the same side as the UVB Reptisun 10.0 bulb... :roll: Back to the drawing board :study: ..there really is alot to learn.

Sorry! I edited the original post so that it mentions that in the section "How should I postition my UVB light?". So hopefully that fixes any confusion! :D

And you are right about the water fall, bearded dragons shouldn't have any extra humidity in their cages.

1beardie

Hatchling Member
Ok i'm a little confused..... I have a 40 gal viv...my uvb on the back wall of my viv and the basking light on top of my mesh lid....... and everyone is saying have a bright white light between the basking spot and the uvb to protect my beardies eyes.... So If I make the basking light between the basking spot and the uvb wont it be too far away to get the benefits of the uvb????

1beardie

Hatchling Member
but if I have the uvb at the back and the basking light in the middle ( or towards the back) and the basing spot in the front will the uvb still be effective???? I cant have the basking light too close ( directly over) the basing spot or it gets too hot... Unless I find a lower wattage basking bulb.... I guess I will have to re-arrange the viv and see how far away the uvb is from the basking spot to get the right temps...

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Oh, do you mean having the basking light and the UVB light on sifferent ends of the tank? Sorry, I'm a little confused! UVB lights hardly put out any heat at all, so I wouldn't think it would affect the basking temperatures much.

littlesavedgirl

Hatchling Member
It might be that putting the basking light next to or slightly above the florescent fixture, could melt it. I have a 40 breeder and space is cramped and I do have to be careful not to let the basking light sit to closely or I start to smell plastic.

1beardie

Hatchling Member
littlesavedgirl":25l2b31t said:
It might be that putting the basking light next to or slightly above the florescent fixture, could melt it. I have a 40 breeder and space is cramped and I do have to be careful not to let the basking light sit to closely or I start to smell plastic.
Yes that is what I was saying.... I have a branch that is the basking spot and I cant have the branch too close or it will be to hot of a basking spot and it might melt the uvb fixture..

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Ok, I get what you are saying now!
Obviously you don't want to melt your UVB fixture, so I would place them as close together as you can with out melting anything. Safety first! :wink:

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom