Lighting Help for Newbies (:

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Jess":3b5gf8yo said:
@Thanos: I will PM you a list in a sec. :)

@Rory:
It's awesome that you are doing your research before you get a beardie!
There is no such thing as a cage that is too big.. IMO the 4x2x2s are perfect. I like custom better than glass cages- they are much better insulated and easier to access. Here is how I have my 4x2x2 set-up now. I was thinking of adding this the the original post.
DSC02622.jpg

I have the fixtures build into the ceiling: The warm side has a 50w basking spot light on a dimmer and UVB, and the cool side has a 100w CHE on a dimmer on a coiled "daylight" bulb (You can get them at Home Depot, and they are cheaper than the 2.0 reptile lights). My under-the-counter UVB fixture needed replacing, so I decided to try the ReptiSun light hood, and I just set it on shelving brackets that I mounted to the viv walls. Personally, I like it much better! I've always used 24" UVB lights. My light/CHE fixtures are random ones from Fleet Farm. Just make sure the ones you get are ceramic and are rated for the wattage you want.

In the winter I have both glass doors on my viv (I live in MN, so it needs the insulation!) but in the summer I use one screen door so it stays cooler. My bedroom has extreme temperature fluxuations though LOL, so you might be fine with just glass doors and no screen.

And I use non-adhesive linoleum flooring. It looks like tile, but it is SO much easier to work with!

Jess - please tell me where you got those awesome stairs on the left!

Jess I love your viv!! I'm going to show it to my husband so he can build something similar :D How did you make those stairs... they are awesome!!
I love this thread, it has helped me so much and now I have a new shopping list to get our lights all sorted out! Thanks!!

NateDeth

great post. I have a flexarium set up vertical right now so heating the basking spot with a CHE is a bit hard. (the heat rises, absorbs into the flex material, and overheats certain materials/spots in the viv. so I was asking about the possibility of light heat, but Im not sure it will penetrate the mesh effectively.

MrSparks

Can you show a closer picture of how you hung the fixture? I have moved the uvb in front of the basking light since the photo so he gets both lights. Here is a photo of my setup...
IMAG0285.jpg

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Does anyone have the link to the thread that goes over all the testing that people performed on the UVB/UVA tubes that were causing issues?I'd like to have it as a resource, and my searches aren't proving to be successful.

THANKS! :)

Ps I just did a little research on reptisun and they claim their bulbs to last a full year. OP (Jess) said to switch out the bulbs every half year. Why is this?

i keep my light on a stand 9 inches from the basking rock. it stays around 95 on the hot side, but my infrared thermometer reads that her basking rock is like 120, it's not burning her but if i move the light closer the rock will get hotter. should i use a che element, or is the rock temp normal?

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
RandomGuy123":22exj0d1 said:
Ps I just did a little research on reptisun and they claim their bulbs to last a full year. OP (Jess) said to switch out the bulbs every half year. Why is this?

Because when they're tested, they start fading out after 6 months. It truly is better to replace every six months.

LadyMeridius

Hatchling Member
I know this is going to sound like a weird question..

I switched to a reptisun 10.0 today. Ever since I put it in (8 inches from her closest hang out), she has been sleepy. Is it normal when switching from one brand to another? Ive changed nothing else. Before I swapped it, she was fairly perky and chowed down some waxworms.

o_O I would hate to think Ive been sent a dud from Amazon :(

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom