Lighting Help for Newbies (:

kitkat101

Juvie Member
I had a question. Is it okay if I have a basking light for one part of the tank and the ReptiSun light for the other half? I notice some people have the reptisun over the whole tank...I'm worried now!! :cry:

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
@KeNNethX: The ReptiSun 10.0 gives off a fairly small amount of UVB at 12", so personally I would keep the basking spot closer since yours is behind a screen. My beardie's UVB is about 12" away from his basking spot in his 4x2x2 viv, but he has no screen inbetween it.
For the basking light, any regular house bulb will work! If you want a reptile-specific one, I like the Zoomed spot lights. 50-75 watts should be enough for a 40 gal. They have really concentrated light beams, so they get pretty hot.

@Kitkat: It is best to have the UVB and basking light overlapping, so your beardie can bask and get UVB at the same time. You don't need a UVB over the whole tank though, I only have a UVB on half of mine. They should have a way to get out of the UVB if they've had enough of it.

uwais27

Hey guys.
I've been giving a lot of thought to my lighting and so on. What's bothering me slightly is that I'm mounting all 3 lights on to a plastic lid, and I'll have a mesh or screen type lid on the inside of that too, I will make spaces for all 3 lamps, though. I'm not too concerned about the Basking or UVB, its the CHE that I'm worried about. In any case, is it possible for any of the lamps to melt the plastic cover? Would reflectors help protect the plastic? And are there reflectors for CHE's and the heat they emit?
Thanks.
Uwais.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Will the UVB light be going through the plastic? If so, that lighting set-up isn't going to work. :?

I've melted the plastic on my tanks with my CHE before, so it's definitely possible! A reflector won't really do much. You can get a dimmer/rheostat to control the temp it gets to though.

uwais27

Well I was hoping to mount the UVB on the tank itself. I've already been snagged though coz the Basking Lamp alone makes the lid quite hot after like 10mins of being on. I need to either make myself a screen lid or find 1 that fits my tank, which seems a bit difficult to do. I'm quite upset now lol :( Gonna run off later today to get the UVB and Reflector's anyway. UVB on top of a screen/mesh lid isn't good though right?

uabmicurn

Okay Peeps,

Progress report on my sweet Hughey....

Apparently, my original lighting situation was the 'dirty varmit' that was making my love lethargic and not wanting to eat. I have replaced my coil bulb with the ReptiSun 10.0 (24 in for my 36 in long tank), placed it on the fixture with the 3M command hooks like Jess suggested, bought the thermometers with the probes (one for basking side, one for cool side). I also replaced the shaving-type substrate with contact paper (but that was another issue! :lol: )

I've wondered for the past couple of weeks if someone has snuck another beardie in my viv!! My Hughey is like a new man!! He's alert, he "acknowledges" me as soon as I walk up to his viv and start talking to him, he's eating like a fiend!!! He would probably eat as many crickets as I put in front of him, whether it was 10 or 100 (every day!), and I've learned he likes kale, rather than collards. He'll eat yellow squash when I 'sneak it in there.' He's even been occasionally eating his juvie BD pellet food that I keep in his viv for him as Scooby Snacks. He "swims" during his baths and I learned just now that the bath definitely does help their bowels move, as he unloaded a wide load right in the bathwater!! :blob8:

Needless to say, I'm VERY excited at the turnaround of my lovable guy!! My thing now is the temperatures in my viv.....On his cool side, I have the probe by his little house he sleeps in (and I have put it in the house as well, just to check). It reads a pretty consistent 74 to 75 degrees F. On his basking side, however, with the probe lying directly below (on the floor of his viv) the basking light, the highest the temp ever measures is about 94 degrees. (I have another therm, a Fluker's digital without a probe on the back wall of the viv, about 2 inches from the floor. It reads pretty consistent with the probe). The bulb is about 12 to 13 inches from the floor of his viv and it's an All Living Things 100 watt halogen floodlight-type bulb.

Hughey shows no interest in climbing on his wood thingie to get closer to the heat source. He actually never climbs on it at all. He will only lay on it when I physically place him there to mist him with H20.

My question is, with these temps even on my basking side, should I add a CHE, in addition to the basking bulb I already have? My temps are not to the 100+ degree range I've read that everyone recommends, but he seems so much perkier and lively, I'm wondering if the 92 to 94 range doesn't work for him? I just don't want to make it too hot for him.

Also, if I do need to get the CHE, should I add a 60 watt, 100 watt or 150 watt? They have those three options available at petmountain.com, so I wanted to check before I ordered. I do turn his UVB and his basking light off at night, so it's dark, and the temps at night get down to about 65 to 70, leaning more toward the cooler side, as it's been getting pretty cold here in the South.

Jess, and all you other beardie experts out there! :D , what do you think? This forum has been a savior for me, and especially for the new love of my life!!!

Thanks everyone! Melissa

meeka85

Hi all,

I have a heating question for you since I am having a heck of a time. I just upgraded my Yoda to a 4x2x2 wood enclosure that my Dad made for my Christmas present. It has a 36" Reptisun 10.0 light, and I was using a 100W ZooMed Repti Basking Spot Lamp for my old setup in an aquarium. In the new setup, the basking spot got to 127 degrees, with the cool side at 93 degrees.. way too hot! So I went to the store and bought a new light that was 75W (same brand) and the temp is now at 119 and 90. I'm hoping some wood enclosure experts could give me a hand.. should I go with a 50W now? Different kind of bulb? Any help would be most appreciated! I don't want my poor little guy to fry!

Erin

Saryuu

I have a few questions pertaining to this topic. Should I be using a red or clack light at night for my dragon or just turn off the heat light or something.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
@uabmicurn: Awesome, I'm glad that you have seen such a positive change in Hughey since you changed his lighting set-up! :D

And when it comes to temps, all beardies are different. Adults aren't "supposed" to have their temps over 105*F at the most, but Dudley is happiest and most active at 110*F. You can try raising the temps and see how he reacts... If he hates it, you can always go back to what you have it at now!
Your viv is a 40 breeder, right? I would get a 100 watt CHE, and buy a dimmer for it on Amazon.

@Meeka: A wooden viv won't need nearly as many watts as a glass one. I can get away with a 30 or 40 watt flood light in my 4x2x2.

@uwais: Nope, don't put screen between the UVB and your beardie!

Jess,

I just redid my gal's lighting setup. She has an 18 inch Reptisun 10.0 in a 20 gallon tank with a 60 watt CHE in a hood placed above the wire lid. Please see picture below. Is the ballast placed correctly? I think I should have put it all the way to the right. It doesn't seem to give too much light, but that doesn't mean my dragon isn't getting UVB, right? I am also not crazy about the clunkiness of the ballast-- it's ugly and big.. oh well.

Anyway, here's a pic. Ignore the bareness of the cage--she has coccidia so she's under paper towels I'm keeping trimmings to a minimum. If I give her a little hidey spot on the left of the cage, will that suffice for a spot where she can get away from the UVB?

Advice appreciated =)

She's all wrapped up like a burrito :lol: Hasn't moved in an hour.
photo14.jpg

~T

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
It looks good to me! The only thing I would change is to give her a bright white light in addition to the CHE. That way she won't hurt her eyes by looking at the UVB all the time.

The light is giving off plently of UVB as long as it is < 6 months old. And adding a little cave for her would be perfect.

And they make 24" fixtures that aren't nearly as clunky. :wink:

klm15975

I currently have a 75W basking light and its only getting up to 80 degrees at best. I had previously tried a 50W flood light which only brought the temp to around 70 degrees. I have a 40 gallon tank. What else can I do to get the temp up in the basking area? Should I try a 100W basking bulb?? I think it would be too costly to run a CHE 24/7.
Thanks!
K

Jess

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
What kind of thermometer are you using? Either your house is freakishly cold LOL, or your therm is really off.

nahuelarg86

Hatchling Member
I have a question. I have a Reptisun 10.0 (18") mounted in a GE Fluorescent light fixture that I bought at Home Depot, here is link to it: http://tinyurl.com/7npsec7

My problem is the following:
I have everything set up in a timer. Every morning when I wake up and go and check the lights, every light is on but the reptisun. It didn't happen the first days, but now I have to go turn the fixture switch off, wait like a minute (otherwise it won't turn on) and then turn the switch on.

Do you know what could be going on there?

Thanks!

klm15975

Jess":2wetqwsc said:
What kind of thermometer are you using? Either your house is freakishly cold LOL, or your therm is really off.
Probably both. The thermometer is the Zilla Digital Thermometer, and the 2nd floor only gets to about 64 degrees in the winter. I checked last night and it was up to 80.4...still off by a bit.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livsxx
Top Bottom