Lighting help for a Canadian

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazzaram

Hi everyone. I'm sure you're sick of topics like this but I'm trying to get the supplies together for my new baby and I'm a little lost.

I'm trying to follow the newbie guide posted on here but the light fixture I need is on the American version of Amazon and I couldn't find it on the Canadian version. The bulb I will be getting is the Zoomed reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb.

I have a 20 gallon tank (temporary because she's just a baby) with a metal screen lid. Can I just put a fixture on top of it for the UVB bulb? I read that it diffuses some of the light, but I'm not sure where to get a fixture like the one in the guide. I was looking at the ones on the home depot site that are available in Canada and I am just not sure. I don't want to order the wrong thing.

I thought I would post a picture of the baby you'll be helping out by answering my question in hopes it takes the annoyance out of my post!!

I have the girl (he THINKS it's a girl) on the left reserved. Apparently her parents are german giants (and he has papers for them). I think she's beautiful :)

2mwz0r5.jpg

GizmosGrammie

Hatchling Member
Beautiful little girl. I use the Powersun 100w MVB. I really like it. The instructions that come in the box indicate in the FAQ section that the bulb can be set on top of mesh. I however have mine sitting over an opening in my mesh because I thought the mesh obscured the light too much as my girl would get real dark & sit right under it. My mesh top had a small square access door in it. I sit the light right over that w/the door flipped open. I hope this helps. Here's a pic of my set up. She has a cave/perch 12" from her MVB. Sorry it's upside down. The MVB is the larger fixture in front.
80462-2306330297.jpg

hazzaram

Original Poster
GizmosGrammie":1v4cm0ct said:
Beautiful little girl. I use the Powersun 100w MVB. I really like it. The instructions that come in the box indicate in the FAQ section that the bulb can be set on top of mesh. I however have mine sitting over an opening in my mesh because I thought the mesh obscured the light too much as my girl would get real dark & sit right under it. My mesh top had a small square access door in it. I sit the light right over that w/the door flipped open. I hope this helps. Here's a pic of my set up. She has a cave/perch 12" from her MVB. Sorry it's upside down. The MVB is the larger fixture in front.
80462-2306330297.jpg

Oh! You know what? I think maybe we have the same tank. I forgot that mine also has a door in the middle of the top that flips open that I can use.

Wow, do I ever feel silly for forgetting that >.>

neacail

Where in Canada are you located? And, is it the T5 or T8 Reptisun you'll be using? Do you have the bulb already?

I'm in Calgary. I was in a Big Al's location today, and a Petland location today. Both had good stock of t8 bulbs. If you want an external fixture, you should be able to find one in the aquarium sections of either store that will sit nicely on top of a 20 gallon. I bought my 24w internal fixture at Lee Valley Tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom