Lighting for a 48 x 24?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETAonTime

So I've order a new Viv for my bearded dragon and I need to get the lighting right. I have a 36 x 18 right now and using a 150w zoo med bulb but I have it dimmed or else it gets way too hot. I've tried a 75 watt Philips flood light which seems like it has too small of a heat spot and also needs to be dimmed. I then tried a 65 watt soft white bulb from amazon and it didn't get hot enough (topped out at about 90 degrees). I'm just wondering if anyone can point me in a direction of a light they know that works. The room he is in is about 70 degrees all day. Don't know if that information is needed. I've gone to Walmart and I've searched on amazon. It seems like everything is either too low of wattage or is the LED which I'm not sure if those would get hot enough? If someone could post some links to some of their favorites that would be awesome. (Preferably on walmart or Amazon because they both have 2 day shipping but any sites will be appreciated) Thank you everyone!

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
What kind of enclosure are you getting? I have wood ones so I will base it off that. I use a 50 watt repti basking lamp in one of mine. I think the room is around 75 and sometimes 80 so I would probably go with a 75 watt or 100 watt. The basking spot is around 9" from the bulb though. So it will depend how close your basking spot will be and how much ventilation there is. I too have tried many bulbs out and I have dimmers but currently have that one on full. I would probably get both as summer and winter will probably affect the room temps.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=basking+75+watt&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abasking+75+watt

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You'll need less wattage for your basking globe and any secondary heat source ie CHE if you avoid having a mesh / screen top and opt for a solid timber top.

Warm air more buoyant than cold air and will simply rise pass through the mesh / screen top and will likely pool at the ceiling of the room the tank is housed in.
A solid timber top on the tank will
... insulate the tank from temperature changes in the room ===> less wattage
... will force the warmed air inside the tank to circulate and provide warm by thermal convection and convective mass transfer ===> less wattage
... the solid timber lid will provide a good place to attach the UVB and CHE's light fitting and the basking globe's light fitting.

Common here for beardies to be housed in timber tanks 4ft long x 2ft wide x 2ft tall , and typically 100W to 120W par38 clear colourless incandescents are used to provide the basking spot and warm zone. Less wattage in summer if the room is not airconditioned. More wattage in winter depending on daytime room ambient temperature.
A T5 10% - 14% UVB tube in reflector fitting will be fine.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use a GE PAR38 halogen flood 90w which is available in a 2pk from Walmart. It works well and handles dimming like a champ (it's on a dimming thermostat) but gets quite hot and may not be suitable for a wooden enclosure however a lower wattage model may do the trick. I keep mine about 25'' up from the floor of the tank (glass, no top) and that works when combined with the dimmer.

Montanaflying

May I ask, where did you find and what brand is your 48 x 24? Our rescued little Dragon, Penelope, was just fine in a 18" wide enclosure, but with proper lighting and feeding, she is growing! I'd like to move her to a larger enclosure soon. I really like the front opening eco-terra terrarium's, but I can't find one larger than 18" wide.

ETAonTime

Original Poster
Montanaflying":v3nkhrwj said:
May I ask, where did you find and what brand is your 48 x 24? Our rescued little Dragon, Penelope, was just fine in a 18" wide enclosure, but with proper lighting and feeding, she is growing! I'd like to move her to a larger enclosure soon. I really like the front opening eco-terra terrarium's, but I can't find one larger than 18" wide.

I bought the 48 x 24 critter condo on diycages.com

CooperDragon":v3nkhrwj said:
I use a GE PAR38 halogen flood 90w which is available in a 2pk from Walmart. It works well and handles dimming like a champ (it's on a dimming thermostat) but gets quite hot and may not be suitable for a wooden enclosure however a lower wattage model may do the trick. I keep mine about 25'' up from the floor of the tank (glass, no top) and that works when combined with the dimmer.

The one that I bought is made out of PVC I've heard they hold heat well???

kingofnobbys":v3nkhrwj said:
You'll need less wattage for your basking globe and any secondary heat source ie CHE if you avoid having a mesh / screen top and opt for a solid timber top.

Warm air more buoyant than cold air and will simply rise pass through the mesh / screen top and will likely pool at the ceiling of the room the tank is housed in.
A solid timber top on the tank will
... insulate the tank from temperature changes in the room ===> less wattage
... will force the warmed air inside the tank to circulate and provide warm by thermal convection and convective mass transfer ===> less wattage
... the solid timber lid will provide a good place to attach the UVB and CHE's light fitting and the basking globe's light fitting.

Common here for beardies to be housed in timber tanks 4ft long x 2ft wide x 2ft tall , and typically 100W to 120W par38 clear colourless incandescents are used to provide the basking spot and warm zone. Less wattage in summer if the room is not airconditioned. More wattage in winter depending on daytime room ambient temperature.
A T5 10% - 14% UVB tube in reflector fitting will be fine.

The one that I got is PVC so there's no screen top just front glass doors. It also has a 24 inch uvb light fixture so I bought a reptisun 10.0 24 inch

kyleena29":v3nkhrwj said:
What kind of enclosure are you getting? I have wood ones so I will base it off that. I use a 50 watt repti basking lamp in one of mine. I think the room is around 75 and sometimes 80 so I would probably go with a 75 watt or 100 watt. The basking spot is around 9" from the bulb though. So it will depend how close your basking spot will be and how much ventilation there is. I too have tried many bulbs out and I have dimmers but currently have that one on full. I would probably get both as summer and winter will probably affect the room temps.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=basking+75+watt&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abasking+75+watt

The one that I'm getting is PVC in my glass one the 65 watt isn't hot enough. Maybe in PVC it will be?? What do you think? Does anyone have experience with the PVC ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom