lighting and heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllenRae

I have a 55 long gallon tank and I bought a long repti glo 10.0 along with a 150 CHE and a regular 150 basking light for day time.
I've tried multiple probes, and they all say the basking area is only like 75 degrees and I'm sorry, I find that hard to believe.

The two heat lamps are placed directly on the top of the tank, which is only maybe a foot tall, and then my dragon has a log that goes up almost to the top of the tank. He sits pretty comfortably, but if it's only 75 I know that's wayyyy too cold, but I don't know what else to do. Should I buy another probe? Should I try to find bigger wattage lights? (I've tried that and can't find another larger)

Help please!!!

Thanks!!

ScooterBlenny

Hatchling Member
Where are the probes located? Have you tried sitting one directly on top of the basking log? That does sound odd, indeed.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Hmm.. everything sounds pretty good, it really doesn't make sense..
Maybe you can post some pics of your set up.. :?

npedersen

Hatchling Member
How long do you wait before taking a reading? You should wait until the lights have been on for quite a while. Unless you are keeping your beardie outside in the freezing cold with this setup, it doesn't make sense.

Get a new thermometer. . .

EllenRae

Original Poster
here are a couple pictures of his tank, he's hiding under the log, he's apparently camera shy...

100_0279.jpg

100_0280.jpg

oh and ignore the fairies, my mom got bored one day..

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Do you measure your temps from where your probes are in the pictures? The proper way to get accurate temps are to lay the probe to where it touches the basking spot, and leave it there for at least 45 minutes.
Oh, and there's nothing wrong with fairies! It's better than the wires you see in back of my cages...

ETA: I have one of those yellow thermometers, I know they work.. I have even compared it to one of my Accurites, and it's just fine..

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, definitely test the temps the way NegativeCreep explained and let us know what the temp is then. It looks like you're using a deep dome which you don't need unless the bulb is a long one & almost reaches to the end of the dome. A dome like that holds the heat in rather than dispersing it. So, if the basking bulb doesn't reach almost to the end of the dome, you can get one of these and then lay it right on the screen, that would help raise the temps. You shouldn't be needing to use a CHE and 150 watt both during the day. http://www.petmountain.com/product/light-fixtures/504915/zoo-med-deluxe-porcelain-clamp-lamp.html

EllenRae

Original Poster
I repositioned the probe and this time I got 112. I think that's quite a bit better. haha Thanks for all the help, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom