Lighting advice for 40 gallon tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I decided to go ahead and start upgrading to a larger tank now, even though my guy (?) is only 4-5 months old (started with a 20 gal starter kit), since the tank was 50% off.

Figured I would go ahead and set the whole thing up, but I am going to need new lights due to the larger tank. This is where I am unsure what to get (despite reading the beginner's guide to lighting on this forum)...

Tank: Zilla Critter Cage 40BR (36 x 18 x 16H)

I have been reading that the tube UVBs are better, and I was considering an external (above screen) terrarium hood (partly because I want to easily remove the top screen, ie. not screen mounted, and I also don't want it easy for people to stare at the light -- not good for your eyes, and this enclosure is in a classroom of kids), so was thinking of going with a 39W 36" ReptiSun T5 HO (34" tube), but people on here seem to suggest 10.0 T5 is absolutely necessary if mounted above screen, however when somebody asked on Amazon, the seller strongly recommended only using the 5 (not 10) because the 10 penetrates too much (even through screen) and would thus be UV overdose?
So... I'm not sure whether to get 5 or 10

As for basking light... what size dome do I need, and what would work best for the following conditions?

Ambient room temp: 70 degrees
Enclosure flooring: ceramic tile

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Most of us here, will highly recommend using the 10% whether it be the T8 or a T5. It is all in
the placement of the bulb for safety.
How far do you plan on having the tube bulb from your dragon? The T5 10% should be good at
a 10-12 inch distance. A lot place them underneath of the screen alongside of the basking bulb.
You can place it on top of the screen top though, it will still emit pretty good UVB. Just keep
in mind the screen does decrease the UVB by quite a bit.
If you can, post some pictures of your tank setup also, that helps.

Tracie

karmakollector

Original Poster
This is my current (20 gal) setup, and will probably retain similar layout once I move to the bigger 40 gal tank, however I am going to get a bigger log round/hollow to allow shade for a growing beardie:

101399-3469521431.jpg

Right now I have a mini combo deep dome setup for the Reptisun UVB 10 (compact/coil type) and heat lamp. This is 8-9 inches from the highest point of the mopani wood (which, after just using my heat gun, looks like it maxes at 110F at its hottest point, but most areas of is are 95-102)

My questions are primarily:
1) Would this mini combo fixture still work to heat the larger enclosure? (probably not, as it will be another 3 inches or so away, but I was also wondering if this size lamp fixture will allow me to get a hotter basking lamp to use in it)

2) The info I saw online regarding the UVB 10.0 T5 HO was that, even if above screen it would cause too much radiation for the beardie, and lead to overdose (not sure what that causes. For humans, it causes sunburn. Can it cook the beardies? Cancer?) I can't find that source to quote... sounds like it should be fine for a 12" basking distance mounted above screen?

Drache613":1mrx02g6 said:
Hello,

Most of us here, will highly recommend using the 10% whether it be the T8 or a T5. It is all in
the placement of the bulb for safety.
How far do you plan on having the tube bulb from your dragon? The T5 10% should be good at
a 10-12 inch distance. A lot place them underneath of the screen alongside of the basking bulb.
You can place it on top of the screen top though, it will still emit pretty good UVB. Just keep
in mind the screen does decrease the UVB by quite a bit.
If you can, post some pictures of your tank setup also, that helps.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom