light schedule for beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephnt619

Hatchling Member
do beardies have to have a specific light schedule? My bearded dragons are not for breeding if that matters any. I was wondering if they need specific light times, or if its okay to turn the lights on around 9 am when i wake up and then turn them of whenever I go to bed or leave their room for the night, which usually wouldn't be until 7 or even 11 at night. The previous owner had them on a 14 hour light 10 hour dark schedule during the summer. Would it harm them to put them on my somewhat random light schedule?

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
It's not very good for them to be on a random schedule. A 14 hour schedule is good. I have Lilly's lights on a timer so they come on at 7:30 am and go off at 9:30 pm.
Sara

Pleaides

Juvie Member
my 2 also have quite a strict routine. either 13/14 hours day time then 10/11 hours night time and the only reason for the hour differnce from time to time is because of my work as i do not have them on a timer...really need to invest in one though as ive always got to be up for them even on my days off! LOL

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Mine also go on around 8am and off again at 10pm. This allows for the "summer" lighting. During winter, I change the settings on the timer for 8 am to 8 pm. This way they are more in sinc with the current seasons.
Janie.

I've been wondering this myself... My beardie doesn't open his eyes until 730 am and around 730 pm he puts himself to bed! i heard you should leave the lights on for 14 hours but he seems to like to sleep! I'm thinking I"ll put the lights on at 7 and off at 9... but won't it be upsetting for him to have the lights on after he's trying to sleep?

stephnt619

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
so where can i buy one of these timers and about how much do they cost. I don't wanna mess up their schedule if its bad for them. He said during the winter he gives them about 11 hours of light and 13 hours of dark. Is that a proper schedule?

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
11/13 or 12/12 is fine during the winter. I bought a timer at walmart for $6 and a strip with 3 outlets for $2 (the timer only has 1 plug).
Sara

fkalb

Hatchling Member
I have my timer set to turn on at 6 AM when i wake up for work, and off at 8:30 PM.. so 9.5 hours. Might change to come on a little earlier because im normally out of the house around 6:30.. let him get more warmed up i normally feed like 15 mins after the light comes on when hes still groggy i have to bring them up to his rock most of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom