light dimmer? help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambichik39

Juvie Member
I'm having problems keeping Pablos tank the correct temperature with the season changes. His bulb is now a 100 wt bulb bc the 75 wt would only get it in the low 90s. The 100 wt is now getting his basking spot 120 degrees! So I want to get a lamp dimmer so I can just dim it down instead of constantly purchasing new bulbs and trying them out. My question is, will something like this work?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1286171&cp=2568443.2568454.2632232.1259267

Also, can I use this WITH a lamp timer? Any other options that are easy for a non electrical smart person to figure out thats not too expensive?

Another question, is heat cable that petco sells the best option for heating roaches? They have been moved in from the garage due to the cold weather, but I fear they wont breed bc its still cold in here compared to what it was in the garage a few weeks ago. What should I do that'll be safe to use in a wood cabinet? Help!

BAD808

I was having a similar problem with my new enclosure, so I got one of these (on the right) from my local hardware (Bunnings here in Australia)
62180_1672545934021_1248595334_1877260_156652_n.jpg

It is quite easy to wire up (instructions were on the packet). The only drama is you need somewhere to mount it to.

VogueStar

Hello- I had a question also about the dimmer switches.. hoping someone else can add in their .02cents. I was curious if I can use the same dimmer switch [as mentioned above] with a reptile heat pad!?! Does any one know if this is safe? THX!! :mrgreen:

Gobo

I had the exact same issue you had when I first started out. You can use the high watt basking bulb and use the dimmer switch to regulate to the desired temp. I also had this setup plugged into my timer which controlled everything on my tank, all my lights were on a timer. Why would you need a heat pad? If you use the dimmer switch this should solve your issue. What type of tank do you have? If your using a reptile tank or glass tank from the store these dont hold heat very well. From personal experience I will only go with custom built tanks that I make, using a cheaper material such as melamine hold heat much better and just requires a little bit of your time to build and proper venting. Hopefully you can get the basking area within range. Dont get too frustrated, I know I did at first but it will all come together for you. :blob8:

VogueStar

Gobo":1r01dy76 said:
Why would you need a heat pad? If you use the dimmer switch this should solve your issue. What type of tank do you have? If your using a reptile tank or glass tank from the store these dont hold heat very well.

Sorry to confuse the topic.... :eek:
I was asking about the heat pad because my boyfriend has snakes... that do use heat pads. And I was curious if a dimmer switch could be used on the heat pad since the pad gets too hot for the snakes...
I have two bearded dragons and have them in a 60 gal and a show tank, and I use a heat bulb and the heat emitters and do not need a dimmer switch for those...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom