Let's See Your Feeder Bins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Tonight I did a bin cleaning and decided to try a new layout. I thought I'd share some new photos.

I had been buying crickets in qtys of 1,000, but Dewey went through the last batch so fast that I upped it to 2,000 this time. Because I was doubling my order, I wanted to add some more climbing space for the crickets. So I added a couple more tubes and egg crates. So far so good. I'm having incredible luck with crix compared to some of the horror stories I've been reading. I've been doing a good bin cleaning once a week (which I really don't mind doing oddly) and have had minimal deaths and best of all, no horrid smell! :)

Hard to believe that there's about 2,000 crix in there, but believe me, they ARE in there!
bin3.jpg

bin4.jpg

A close up of the egg crates with the dividers in between. I did this so the egg crates couldn't get nestled together so closely that the crickets would either get stuck or not be able to get into.
bin6.jpg

A close up of the tubes to show how much the crickets like them. :)
bin5.jpg

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
What is your method for removing them to feed to your dragon? I've had my beardie for two weeks now and at first I had paper towel rolls in my cricket bins, but every time I took a roll out to tap crickets into my calcium bag to shake them up, there was always one or two crix that was on the outside or jumped out of the inside and ended up on my floor. So I switched to egg crates, which I think I like more, but I don't really like the little "valleys" that gather poops and when I go to dump the crix into the bag, bunches of poo ends up in there too, so my dragon gets some calcium-and-poo-dusted crickets.

Also, how do you clean a bin that big with that many crickets in it? I need to figure out a new way to clean my crix bin.

That's a cool setup u got there, especially how you separate the egg crates with cardboard and how you have the paper rolls stacked like that. Is there a hole at the bottom of the paper rolls so they can get out from the bottom or do they have to climb all the way up to get out? Also you should put packing tape around the inside top of the bin so they can't climb all the way out. I'd post pics of my bin but they're pretty dull and boring and basic. Your bin is so nice I wish I could shrink myself and live inside it lol, but then I'd have to fight thousands of crickets.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Sure.. I do roaches.. and I have bins..

RoachBins.jpg

lol.. think I got enough.. oh, you may want to see the contents..
IMG_0013.jpg

Newest roach bin

IMG_0014.jpg

Oldest colony

IMG_0015.jpg

Second oldest colony and two of my three hisser queens

IMG_0016.jpg

Last one, and holding the hisser queen and her new brood of 17.

Close ups anyone ?
IMG_0017.jpg

oldest again

IMG_0018-1.jpg

second oldest and one of the queens housed (hisser not dubia)

IMG_0020-1.jpg

Third all dubias

The first one was established Jan 09
second, mar 09.. and the others have filled in as need arose.
Enjoy.
Janie

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Sapphire":262udj71 said:
What is your method for removing them to feed to your dragon?

Also, how do you clean a bin that big with that many crickets in it? I need to figure out a new way to clean my crix bin.
Sorry for the delay. Just realized I had your questions in here. :oops:

I just lift a tube high enough to stick inside of a large plastic cup and then I tap the tube inside so the crix fall out. I usually don't lift the tube high enough to allow any of them to jump out and don't recall any getting loose. Of course, that doesn't mean I couldn't have missed any!

I actually have two cricket bins. When it's cleaning time I transport the crix from the used bin over to the empty bin using the paper towel tubes. I keep the bins side by side so there's no gap in between. I always have my little bug vaccuum right beside me to catch any that have gotten out.

ILoveRoaches":262udj71 said:
That's a cool setup u got there, especially how you separate the egg crates with cardboard and how you have the paper rolls stacked like that. Is there a hole at the bottom of the paper rolls so they can get out from the bottom or do they have to climb all the way up to get out? Also you should put packing tape around the inside top of the bin so they can't climb all the way out. I'd post pics of my bin but they're pretty dull and boring and basic. Your bin is so nice I wish I could shrink myself and live inside it lol, but then I'd have to fight thousands of crickets.
Thanks, yes the tubes I use are the normal tubes from a roll of paper towels. There's an opening on both sides so they can climb in from either end. I haven't had the need for the packing tape on the crix bin because I haven't had any (to my knowledge) get out that way. I do always keep the bins covered with a ventilated cover.

zebraflavencs - Nice roach bins! I have a dubia colony which seems to be doing very well at the moment. Don't know about having as many roach bins as you do though! :shock:

Livey

Extreme Poster
I have tried the bins so many time its unreal!
i buy bulks of 1000 crickets, put veg in water, tubes everything!
its never works they stink, pee everywhere, how on earth do you clean a bin with 1000 crickets running around it?
I had a big problem with the bins condensing too!
but its lovely to see some of your ideas!
If i could just get it right i really would put them in binss....

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
When I ordered the smaller sized crickets (about 1/4"), I couldn't really detect an odor. I do have sinus issues though so that may explain it. Once I started ordering the larger crickets I COULD completely smell them and I do agree that they smell horrible! That's why I started a dubia colony so I can get rid of the crix eventually.

When I clean the bin I set the used bin on the floor right next to the clean and empty bin. Then I use just slowly move one tube (filled with crix) over to the empty bin, tap it along the sides so they fall out. I just keep doing this until most of them are in there. Then once I'm down to a few stragglers I tip the used bin over the empty one and more or less chase them until they fall or jump into the empty bin. Hope that makes sense! The key is to just move slowly so they won't jump. I've had good luck with this method. :)

As far as condensation, I don't have that issue so I'm not sure what to tell you there. How much ventilation do you have? I have just about the whole lid screened so they get plenty of air in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom