lethargic & not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylgriffiths

Hi

Our beardie has become very lethargic, he hides under his log all day and never moves and is therefore very cold to the touch, he refuses to eat any of his usual diet (rocket, peppers, worms, hoppers) even if we try and hand feed him, although in the last week he has eaten about 10 locusts.

His Viv has not changed, we use calci sand and his temps are 80F in the cool end and 100 - 105F in the basking end (digital themometer), we also use a UVB light.

He still has his 3 baths a week, where he usually poo's (although he hasn't pooed in 2 weeks, even after a belly massage). After his baths he will be highly active for 30 mins before returning to hide under his log. He doesn't beard up and is still happy being held.

Any suggestions?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello,

Sorry to hear your beardie is not doing well. If you could answer some questions, we can try and figure out what is going on with your little guy!

First off I would like to suggest you removing the calci sand from his enclosure. The sand has been known to cause impaction. There are many other suitable substrates such as papertoweling, non-adhesive shelf liner or lino, reptile carpet or tile.

What Type and Brand uvb are you using? fluorescent, coil, compact or mvb?
What Brand and Watt basking bulb?
How close can he get to his uvb?
What size is the enclosure?
What is the age of your beardie?
Do you feel any lumps in his belly?

dylgriffiths

Original Poster
Hi Dawn

UVB: Exoterra Reptiglo 10.0, 20W, fluorescent, can be 35 - 50cms away
Basking bulb: 100W white spot light, can be 40 - 50cms away
viv: 60Dx90Wx65H (cms)

Eric is 18months old, can't feel any lumps when i rub his belly.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello,

The first thing I noticed is your uvb. Unfortunately, the ReptiGlo 10.0 is not a very good bulb. It has been linked to a number off health issues among beardies. I would recommend either a ReptiSun 10.0 or an Arcadia 12%(I am assuming you are in the UK from what you are feeding your beardie).
When you do get the new uvb it is also recommended your beardie be within 16cm-21cm from the bulb for optimal results, rather than 35cm-50cm.
Generally when a beardie becomes lethargic and hides in their enclosure it is an indication there could be something wrong with the set up. I would highly suggest you get one of the two uvb bulbs I mentioned.

You mentioned using a digital thermometer. Does it have a probe end? Are you getting a temp directly from the basking spot? Your beardie may also be showing signs of dehydration is why I ask. Temperatures play a vital role in the health and well being of your beardie. If you are not using the correct thermometer, you may not be getting accurate temps.

As for Eric not going poo. Keep up the baths daily until he has a bowel movement. You can try some unsweetened applesauce or canned pumpkin(no sugar) with 1-2 small drops of olive oil or mineral oil. Put mixture in a dropper and dab on the end of your beardies nose to get him to lick it off. This should get things moving.
You can also gently massage your beardie on the right side starting from the armpit downward towards the vent(while in the bath). If you do happen to find any lumps you can concentrate on those by gently massaging in a circular motion.

dylgriffiths

Original Poster
Hi Dawn

Thank you for the info, I shall try and go hunting for canned pumpkin, not sure if this is even available in the UK.

We use 2 digital themometers with probes in the basking spot and cool end.

Our Viv was specially built by an experienced breeder, and therefore we cannot change the distance to the UVB bulb, but shall try a different bulb, although this has not affected him until recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom