Lethargic 2yr old beardie won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

eleseur

Original Poster
well good news, i had an old 150w flood light that in am going to use in the day, then put his 60w ceramic heater in at night. His terrarium temp is approx 100F in his basking spot and 79-85F in the cold end. After installing the new light he ran over and started to bask in the light. After about an hour i gave him a salad and he decided he was hungry. He has had an increased appetite and been MUCH more active since i put in his new light. I think the tank was too cold and he was trying to brumate. Thanks for the advice and has anyone tried the self ballasted lights from reptileuv.com? I was thinking about getting this for his tank http://www.reptileuv.com/megaray-sb-160-watt-self-ballasted-flood-uvb-lamp.php. Does anyone have any thoughts, i.e. is the wattage to low/high for a 40g tank and are they any good? also, i want to get a 100W heater for nighttime, is there any alternatives to the ceramic heaters and do they work well? I want something that emits no visible light for when he is sleeping. thanks-

Pleaides

Juvie Member
yes i find the ceramic heat emitter works very well indeed and it helps raise the temps instead on relying on just your household bulb, where my boy has such a big enclosure i was having trouble getting it to the correct temp.
heres a link to show you what they may look like, along with the bulb you need a special fitting to go with it to prevent it from melting, or worse starting a fire also a particular cable, depends on where your from because this is a uk site ok.
http://www.livefoods.co.uk/index.php?cPath=67
:D

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
Hi -

Thats great that he is eating & basking for you!

The Mega-rays are the best bulbs that you can get. I believe for a 40 gallon you would want to go with the 100 watt. I use the t-rex active uv which is the same bulb and use the 100 watts in both of my 40 gallons. If you are not sure which to use you can call them and they will help you decide which bulb is the best option for you. Although last i heard the bulbs were back ordered until sometime in January. If you dont need it right now then it shouldn't be a problem. If you do need it you may want to consider going with the T-Rex Active UV since these are typically available in stores. There is also minimum distances required for these bulbs. For the 160 watt your beardie should be at least 16 inches from it. For the 100 watt it should be at least 12 inches.

You will need a deep dome fixture for these bulbs since the are much larger than other bulbs.

The ceramic heaters are great. Although i wouldn't go with the 100 watt. They need cooler temps at night. As long as it does not get below 60 there is no need for night time heat. If it does, i would go with the 60 watt. That way you can still provide warmth but also allow for the cooler temps.

Make sure that the fixture you get for it has a ceramic socket otherwise it will get to hot and melt the fixture.

eleseur

Original Poster
thanks, i have a ceramic dome fixture that i use with the 150w flood and his 60w ceramic heater. Can the night time temps really go down to 60? that seems a little cold for him. If so then i don't need to buy any lights cuz the 150w has plenty of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom