Less Chitin

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
yes. It's true.
Superworms are bigger. And generally impaction risks come with feeding Superworms to smaller, younger beardies.
It is also a risk with mealworms for younger beardies.

Superworms actually have nutritional content for beardies, unlike mealies, so in general mealworms aren't recommended for bearded dragons period.

jbodkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
What is the minimal size your BD should be before starting on SW ... I have also read many many different answers for this also. :roll:

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
I would tend to say 15 inches.
Smaller, healthy, appropriately temperatured BD's would probably do fine, but I'm definitely of the better safe than sorry crowd.
If you choose to make that switch, just keep an eye on BMs the next bit of time, look for undigested food, etc.

All of this is an inexact art. There are people who have successfully raised beardies on walnut shell or calcium sand. Is there a risk? Yes. Does that mean it always ends badly? No, not at all.

A big part of raising a beardie is knowing your individual beardie, educating yourself and then making the best decision for you and your beardie.

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
Young dragons have a kink in their intestine that can get clogged with chitin from harder shelled feeders like mealworms or Supers. At around 15 inches long the intestine straighten out, thus lessening the chance of impaction. Most people say to wait until a dragon is 16 inches just to be safe.

Eric

MojoThor

what if you feed a smaller dragon the freshly sheded superworms, the white ones. Cause I have a 12.5" dragon that was sick (shes better now) but im trying to get her to gain mass. she wont eat crickets or horn worms but loooves superworms. so ive been feeding her baby food and the white superworms. Is it safe to assume this is ok?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Speedy is just under 13" in length. We have been feed her supers and she LOVES them. She does eat crickets tho so we just feed her one or two at a time. We have been watching her poop and have not found any problems. She has not become impacted yet but my husband makes sure that he feeds the smaller supers because the larger ones may not be good for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom