Leopard Gecko Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kari,

Oh she is so pretty, & her tail looks nice. I hope that there isn't an abscess starting either. Maybe it is nothing, & just the area where it was slightly damaged.
Did she chew up her bug with the Baytril in it? I hope she didn't spit it out. She looks pretty alert though, so, maybe she will be alright then. Poor girl, she just doesn't like the Baytril!
Your package will be on the way in the morning!
Keep us posted on her. :D

Tracie

Bellalee

Juvie Member
Ya.. it does look a little wierd.. btw.. those aren't fat, they are actually extra calcium buildup, or that's what all the big name breeders/leo keeps say.

baby_geek

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Excess calcium? Hmmm, does it matter that it the areas are soft and squishy? Like fluid filled sacs? She only gets calcium 1-2 times per week - is that too much? She was on calci-sand for the beginning of her life - until I got her.

She ate her Baytril injected cricket tonight nice a quickly. Hopefully her appetite stays this way - is there anything else I should be doing? I've discontinued the polysporin as her wounds are sealed up. Should she be getting bene bac? Extra fluids? Should I expect a drop in appetite? Anything else I should be keeping an eye out for?

Bellalee

Juvie Member
As for the calcium pockets no they are fine.. I think just sometimes they do it.. honestly I don't know that they are for sure, I would love to be able to do a test on what they are but I don't want to hurt them.. ect.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kari,

How is your girl doing today? Did she eat anything?
If her appetite has decreased, she would benefit from benebac or any other probiotic you have.
Are you referring to the tail, it holds fat, & water. The tail is where fat is stored. I have never heard of them storing calcium directly in their tail. Now, crested geckos have a calcium sac in their mouths that literally stores calcium reserves & will rise & fall according to intake.
The calcium at 1-2 times per week is fine. She would be fine on 3 times a week, in fact.

Tracie

baby_geek

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She is doing well from what I can tell.

She ate her Baytril injected cricket with no problems :) Her tail is looking the same... slightly grey/brown around the injury site but still looks normal cranial and caudal to that spot. The skin still feels a little loose in that area as well. She can still feel her tail but doesn't seem to have any pain or discomfort which is good! Hoping to get your package soon Tracy!

How long should she be on the Baytril for? The vet said 2 weeks but that seems like a long time for a reptile. I am giving her probiotic in the morning now (she gets Baytril for supper) to help out the gut flora. She looks like she is getting ready to shed which I hope the tail is well secured at this point so nothing comes loose!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kari,

Yes, let me know when you get the package, hopefully it will be soon! :D
Great that she seems to be doing well, & is taking her meds & probiotics easily too. Maybe her tail will end up being fine, & will heal up quickly.
Well for such a small reptile personally I wouldn't keep her on the Baytril longer than a 7-10, but 12 days max. That really should be sufficient for her size.

Tracie

baby_geek

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry it's been so long since my last post. I am bottle feeding a couple of 4 week old kittens for the weekend and it has been crazy busy!

Tracy, haven't received the package as of last week although I'm hopeful it will show up tomorrow (it was a holiday here today so no mail)

Bella seems to have caught on to the cricket baytril injections unfortunately, the last 2 doses she has left the cricket for a good 20-30 minutes before considering pouncing on it. Thankfully I have discontinued treatment as of today, so no more treatments! :blob8: So now I will give her her full rations of food (I was only giving 1 cricket per day to make sure she would eat it quickly and get her meds)

Her tail is looking good, I was incredibly concerned on Saturday as she had gone white (impeding shed) but instead of being all white like normal she was white down to the line of injury. I was worried that when she pulled the lose skin off she would inadvertently reopen the wound. Thankfully when I checked on her the following day she had completely shed except for the last 1/2 of her tail. It is normal for them to not shed beyond the damage on their tail the first time? I am assuming she will start shedding it as it needs it and by then hopefully it is well healed.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kari,

Yes, let me know when you get it. I wish there was a way to track it internationally, through the mail system. Hopefully, it should be getting to you soon!
That is strange she didn't shed the last portion of her tail, but I am sure that she will next time. Maybe it just didn't need it perhaps?
Great she wont have to get anymore Baytril now. I know that she didn't like it, either. At least she is still eating though. Hopefully she will continue to improve.
So how are those little kittens? That is time consuming, bottle feeding them!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom