Leonidas poo

Kyomuno

Beardie name(s)
Osiris
Yesterday Leonidas's poop had a little red in it (presumably blood), but when I called the on call vet she said that it can happen occasionally and to monitor and see if it happens again at which point I would need to make him an appointment to be seen. No more bloody poop today. But instead it was a watery tan color. Called the vet and the soonest they can get him in is next tuesday(7/11/2023). We are on a cancelation list, but now I am freaking out. I looked up the most common causes for both diarrhea and bloody feces with beardies and it says parasites. But he does not have any of the other symptoms. He is full of energy, not aggressive, no loss of appetite and is still drinking regularly. Is there anything I can do, or do any of you know anything else that could be the cause? He is in a 40gal breeder tank right now with a t8 10.0 ubv and 150watt basking bulb. Temps are perfect and no changes to his diet.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
What are you feeding? Dyes or strongly colored food can cause odd colored poops 💩

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
What are you feeding? Dyes or strongly colored food can cause odd colored poops 💩
Also, when I say "watery poo"...I mean it looks like a water puddle with a little white urate. I just fed him his dinner and will see how it looks next time he goes. If it has not improved I will get a picture

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Are you feeding the roaches the orange cubes by chance? If so that can cause odd colored poops also.
Watery poops aren't necessarily a bad sign, if the poop is still decently formed but with excess water, that just a well hydrated beardie, if the poop itself is a splatterly mess then something else is likely going on.

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
Are you feeding the roaches the orange cubes by chance? If so that can cause odd colored poops also.
Watery poops aren't necessarily a bad sign, if the poop is still decently formed but with excess water, that just a well hydrated beardie, if the poop itself is a splatterly mess then something else is likely going on.
The roaches get fed squash, carrots and greens. The poop didn't even look like poop at first. It seriously looked like water splashed on the liner until I looked closer. He is one of the only 2 surviving beardies from his clutch so I am freaking out a little

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What types of supplements do you give? Sometimes supplements & foods can cause reddish or
orange tints to their stools or urates.
Has his beard been dark or normal color?

Tracie

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
Hello,

What types of supplements do you give? Sometimes supplements & foods can cause reddish or
orange tints to their stools or urates.
Has his beard been dark or normal color?

Tracie
Vitamins: calcium(daily), d3(every 3 days) and reptaid used in baths.
No darkness in beard and no abnormal behavior, loss of appetite, reduced energy level, or aggression.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The carrots your giving the dubias might be the cause, i would stop offering them for a while and see if it clears up the color.
As far as the vet, don't let them do an enema under any circumstance. They can severely injure or even kill your beardie. Instead collect a sample of the poop in a zip lock baggie and take it to the vet. Don't refrigerate it and take it in within 24 hours.

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
The carrots your giving the dubias might be the cause, i would stop offering them for a while and see if it clears up the color.
As far as the vet, don't let them do an enema under any circumstance. They can severely injure or even kill your beardie. Instead collect a sample of the poop in a zip lock baggie and take it to the vet. Don't refrigerate it and take it in within 24 hours.
I will stop the carrots. We were asked to drop of a fecal sample Friday so they will have the results by my appointment. Crossing my fingers that he will be ok because he is such a sweet little guy

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Please keep us posted, personally I've been rooting for them ever since you first posted about them.

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
Please keep us posted, personally I've been rooting for them ever since you first posted about them.
So far today leo has eaten 12 roaches and more than half his salad, but no poop yet. Still has loads of energy and has been doing beardie parkuor in his cage, still basking regularly and still loves cuddling. I was able to talk to the vet over the phone and she said it is possible that he is over hydrated so we have removed his water dish per her request so that the only hydration for now is from his veggies. She said it could be parasites, but won't know until his fecal sample is recieved. She is having me drop one off tomorrow (if he poops by then. Which he should) and said that if it is possitive for parasites she will have me come in at closing time so she can get his meds to me and walk me through treatment and prevention steps. If it is negative then we will be going in Friday (they had a cancelation! ) And they will do full labs and figure out what's up.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Good deal, hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, I agree, they can get "too much fluids" causing an imbalance in their system. That is good
news he did have a normal stool, without the orange tint to it. Let us know how the fecal exam turns
out. I hope it is all clear. It's a great sign he is eating & basking as normal.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom