Leo, the Uro! With pictures, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!! I'm not entirely new to the site, as a few of you know Rango and Bailey a little. They are doing well, loving their new custom viv's, like a king and queen, of course. Well what I'm on this thread to do is introduce the newest member of our growing family. Meet Leo. He is a Miri Uromastyx. I got him off Craigslist today, I talked to the lady before getting him to find out why she was giving him and his entire custom enclosure setup away for FREE. She said it's just because she wanted to "thin out" a little. She had another uro, and a ton of other tropical geckos, blue tails and the such. She said she got him after hurricane Katrina, making him about 5-6 years old now. I was kind of weary to get another herp as I've obtained 2 in the past month and a half and wasn't sure if I really wanted another. So I asked a few questions, like what he eats and his substrate and other herp questions. And when she told me that he lived on sand I knew right then that I wanted him, to save him from the sand. So I went to pick him up today and the first thing I noticed was his nose. It was clogged with sand :( well I say clogged but he could breathe. It was just crusty around the edges. And she had told me he lived in a 40 long tank. Well it was actually two 10 gallon tanks with a side cut out of each and taped together. I took it to be polite of course but decided to house him in Rangos old 40 breeder tank :) so nonetheless his tank won't go to waste yay! :blob8: She informed me that she wasn't giving him much attention anymore and you can definitely tell :( he's real skiddish right now, but also in the beginning of his brumation for the winter, so now I have a uro who won't come around till who knows when?! :(

Sorry about the story. Just wanted to fill everyone in on his life before today :)
So without further ado: **oh and he's shedding right now too** he's supposed to be black and gold-ish, perfect for my NOLA Saints team :D
6bd71e12.jpg

here he is in my hand. I didn't measure how long he is bc he started to get fussy.
3a825795.jpg

here is his "clogged" nose
125cd2d6.jpg

and him hiding in his new house, I knew we didn't make that one for no reason :D **he didn't have a blanket in this pic but he demanded one afterwards :) **
d10b1799.jpg

Well enjoy. I hope to start a thread soon for all of my draggies so yay!! Be looking for it. :) thanks for checking us out!!

bambichik39

Juvie Member
He's probably a mali uromsatyx, as thats exactly what he looks like and i dont think theres such thing as a miri. And that probably wasn't sand on his nose, it was probably just snalt and is very common in uromastyx. I'd highly recommend doing some research, as they are a lot more different than people think than beardies. They have different temperature requirements, and most enjoy a nice mixture of beans along with their salad everyday. You can also safely house on birdseed without sunflower seeds. Calcifer will be able to post more on this. I've never seen one to be treated like a beardie, where it enjoys being handled and having blankets, etc. Most breeders will also suggest a 4'x2' enclosure since their temps are higher than beardies, to give them a proper temperature gradient. Hope this helps! Also, they are strictly herbivores, no crickets, etc. http://www.deerfernfarms.com/

RangoTheBeardie

Original Poster
bambichik39":h19q6g6j said:
He's probably a mali uromsatyx, as thats exactly what he looks like and i dont think theres such thing as a miri. And that probably wasn't sand on his nose, it was probably just snalt and is very common in uromastyx. I'd highly recommend doing some research, as they are a lot more different than people think than beardies. They have different temperature requirements, and most enjoy a nice mixture of beans along with their salad everyday. You can also safely house on birdseed without sunflower seeds. Calcifer will be able to post more on this. I've never seen one to be treated like a beardie, where it enjoys being handled and having blankets, etc. Most breeders will also suggest a 4'x2' enclosure since their temps are higher than beardies, to give them a proper temperature gradient. Hope this helps! Also, they are strictly herbivores, no crickets, etc. http://www.deerfernfarms.com/
Hey!! Thanks so much for the info. Will definitely check it out. Well his temps aren't perfect just yet but has to be better than before bc the bulb he came to me with isn't heating up very high at all. And he was barely in a 4x2 before so I hope he's okay with his new quarters. The lady did give me bird seed, odd I thought but I guess not now. He didn't mind being held just didn't like moving much while being held. And he did like the blanket, he wouldn't stay in the house unless it was in there. Idk maybe he's weird. Well whatever he needs I'm gonna give him, no matter if he's different or not. Thanks tons though. I'm definitely gonna look up everything I can find on bd.org and other places on them. And yeah he's a Mali. My auto correct crazy iPhone did that. My bad.

RangoTheBeardie

Original Poster
thanks Haley!! He is fairly calm. His previous owner said she used to hold him and that he would watch tv with her and just chill. I'm hoping he'll get used to me soon. Lol

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
I'm considering a uromastyx but I'd like to hear more about them before I take on another reptile responsibility. Could you create a more active thread or a blog or something? I'd love to hear more about Leo:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom