Leo’s weight - I’d like a second opinion on this

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Hello, yet again bd.org 👋

Let’s get straight to the point; I’ve just noticed the fat pads on the underside of his arms have considerably grown from little over an hour ago, and I’m starting to question a few things about my dear lizard boy.

Is he really a reasonable weight? I realize he is pretty heavy for his age (statistically, not in terms of obesity) at well over 400 grams at only 7 months of age but is it getting a bit too high? Here is a full body pic from today:

1695847165477.jpeg

I thought he’s well proportioned but I’m having second thoughts, let’s take a look at how his underarm fat pads have changed over an hours worth of time:

1695847293122.jpeg

Before
V.S.
After
1695847318597.jpeg

What’s that all about? Here is some background on what we did today; first thing in the morning I made him a salad of collard greens, a variety of squash, some bell pepper, and scrambled egg (no seasoning, oil, etc…)

He started nibbling at it at around 6:50-7:10AM, 20-30 minutes after his lights turned on for the morning. He finished it around 1:30PM, I fed him a few medium super worms (4 total) at 3:30PM since I was busy.

His fat deposits were reasonable then, as you could see from the picture. A few minutes of basking later they were massive! I’m wondering… could the superworms have done something somehow?

I know they’re high in fat but that’s not terrible, especially in small amounts such as 4. And I doubt they could have possibly made him fat over the span on 1 hour, could it? He’s eaten supers for well over a month now.

Here are a few pictures of his body:
1695847841847.jpeg

Arms, they seem pretty well built don’t they? Not too fatty?
1695847883622.jpeg

Base of the tail and hind legs, they look good 👍 not too fatty either.
1695848001147.jpeg

Neck and fat pads, they look pretty good as far as I can see 👀 not too fatty.

He pooped earlier this morning after eating a bit of his salad, his weight from last night was 408 grams and now it’s risen to 415 over one night. I haven’t even fed crickets yet! I guess he has eaten a bit afterwards so I’ll check.

Is this really obesity, even if just a little? I want to know before I change anything diet wise, he is eating 20 3/4 sized crickets and 3-4 super worms a day along with salad. I guess I could cut back on the crickets a bit?

Thoughts? (Also jsyk this is an extension to my earlier post regarding the fat pads)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
sudden fat deposits
That's not how the body works. Fat doesn't get deposited in significant visible quantities in that short of a time frame. Only logical explanation is it's not an increase in fat deposit.

Could be multiple things, none of which are concerning.

-Brandon

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
That's not how the body works. Fat doesn't get deposited in significant visible quantities in that short of a time frame. Only logical explanation is it's not an increase in fat deposit.

Could be multiple things, none of which are concerning.

-Brandon
Ok, thanks Brandon. I still have lots to learn so I appreciate this

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok, thanks Brandon. I still have lots to learn so I appreciate this
It can be an increase in glycogen storage due to the recent meal
increase in cellular water
He could have been slightly deflated prior to his meal
He could be storing some of the meal low in his throat as it's slowly working it's way down

Or

He has gained a sick sense of sentience and is actually an evil dragon that likes to do things to worry you.

All are valid possibilities IMO :LOL:

-Brandon

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
It can be an increase in glycogen storage due to the recent meal
increase in cellular water
He could have been slightly deflated prior to his meal
He could be storing some of the meal low in his throat as it's slowly working it's way down

Or

He has gained a sick sense of sentience and is actually an evil dragon that likes to do things to worry you.

All are valid possibilities IMO :LOL:

-Brandon
Hmm- I’m thinking the third one 😁

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I dunno about evil but I'm 110% positive they go out of their wsy to make us worry 😉

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Yeah he's not fat at all....might even have been the position of his legs giving that illusion.
It’s pretty prominent no matter what position he’s in but I agree, he doesn’t appear overweight.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom