length of days during the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffeesnob

with day length altering throughout the year and thinking about brumation and tempreature should i be altering my lighting times to reflect the seasons. So 14/16 hours of light in summer and 8/10 hours in the winter. and also reducing temperature to say 65 in the winter.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I try to keep the temperatures consistent (which requires higher basking light distance in the summer and lower in the winter) but I do adjust the light timers according to the seasons to roughly reflect the length of the days (while still making sense with my daily schedule).

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It's up to you. If your goal is a naturalistic approach, varying the heat and light seasonally is fine. I would base it on local conditions in their native range and plan accordingly since australia is opposite seasonally from the U.S. (assuming that's where you live). Even in the cooler weather though, wild dragons can come out to bask on nice days. So a basically unheated winter might not be so great for captives.

coffeesnob

Original Poster
i am in the UK. summer time light is still increasing - it is light at about 5.30 am and is dark by 9.30pm. If i followed the naturalistic approach, and reduced the heat and light over the winter period, what is the shortest light exposure for basking and the lowest ambient temperature for a winter day without affecting the health of my animals.

In Australia what would be the lowest temperature and shortest day these animals would be exposed to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom