Left side of belly hard... What could it be?? Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex14

Hi all,

I'm new to the whole beardie scene. I got my lady Jake two and a half weeks ago from Petsmart. Her set up there was pretty depressing: I don't remember what her substrate was, but she was offered dried juvenile beardie pellets and mealworms. There has been a few hiccups (lighting, substrate), but nothing I couldn't handle. Now I'm not so sure... Two nights ago, two hours after a feeding (hang out time before lights out) I noticed that the left side of her belly, without pressing at all, was hard. It had the shape of a poop. I was concerned,but I just attributed it to undigested food. Since then, she's had 4 regular poops, one of which was runny. I gave her a bath (her least favourite thing) last night and massaged her tummy, thinking it may have been an impaction despite the poops. She's still got a lovely appetite, so for dinner last night I mushed up some spaghetti squash and mixed it with olive oil. After finishing it, she still really wanted crickets so I gave her half of what she normally eats in a sitting (12).
This morning, after a poop, the lump is still there. You can't see it, so I don't know how useful posting pictures would be. I know it isn't her ribs; I can feel her ribs and her right side doesn't have this lump. Aside from the lump, she is behaving totally normal: in fact, she is the happiest I've seen her.
Her being impacted doesn't make a whole lot of sense. She was on calci-sand two weeks ago, but since then she's been on paper towel. Her crickets are really small, with the biggest being almost the distance between her eyes. The only thing that may have been a bit on the large side are the shreds of greens I've given her. She also gets calcium dusted on her food daily and vitamins 5 days a week. The only new thing I've introduced (the day before the lump was noticed) into her died was cooked spaghetti squash, which is her new favourite.

I'll leave you with some set up information:
Tank size: 35 gallons (will upgrade later. It's tall and she had places to climb which she loves)
UVB: Reptisun 10.0 tube
Basking/ Warm side: ~112/100-95 (She has a heat pad on this side.. I'm still playing around with the furniture so that could change)
Cool side: 85~75
Eats: Crickets, dandelion greens, bok choy, chard, arugula, and recently cooked spaghetti squash

That's all I can think of that would matter to her issue.

Thank you for all you do. Even though I haven't posted much, you have helped me considerably already.

Jake and I appreciate it :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How high up is the harder area in the belly?
The calcium sand can take awhile to fully pass through though. Does he appear to strain any when going to the bathroom?
Since the basking spot is good, maybe lower to under 110, I would turn off the heating pad during the day & only use it at night if nighttime heating is needed.
Are the crickets smaller than the space between her eyes, correct?
Are you using a digital probe or temp gun to measure the temperatures in the tank right now?
You can also continue to use some soft foods for her, just in case it is a slight impaction. If it is an impaction, it should hopefully pass. Extra baths & oral fluids can help with that, also. They can be partially impacted & still go to the bathroom.
Do you have any pictures of her?

Tracie

Alex14

Original Poster
alexf1228

I don't know if that picture is going to work... If not here is a link to her picture:

http://s1162.photobucket.com/albums/q540/alexf1228/?action=view&current=Jake.jpg

This is Jake. So the lump goes from about where you see her elbow down towards her vent. It feels as though her intestine is filled with a lump (the shape). I haven't watched her go poop since I've noticed the lump, so I don't know about straining. The crickets are smaller or are the same size as the space between her eyes, but no bigger. I'm using a little Mastercraft temp. gun to take the temps. I hold it about 3 centimetres away from the surface.

So it's totally safe to massage the lump? She doesn't seem to bother with me touching it, but I'm worried that the lump might tear something if I work at it too much. Also... it couldn't be possible that the spaghetti squash had something to do with it, could it? I'm almost hoping its an impaction because if its anything else it's probably really bad because of the size and firmness of the lump :(.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. You are awesome.

Alex14

Original Poster
UPDATE:

I bathed Jake and she had a small poop in the bath that had cricket bits and was kind of ... clear looking. After that the lump seemed to have shifted a bit, but it seemed even bigger and seemed to extend higher in her belly. I don't know what's wrong with her and am starting to get really nervous! If I need to take her to a vet I need a few days to organize it and is kind of a last resort for me.

Does anyone have advice for a lumpy beardie? Or a beardie with a stubborn impaction?

Is there a chance it's a swollen organ?

Thanks again.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I'm sorry that Jake is having troubles. Try putting a few drops of vegetable or mineral oil, in either unsweetened applesauce or canned pumpkin. (Just the plain pumpkin - not pie filling mix) try having her lick it off your finger or put a bit on her nose and see if she will lick it off. Like Tracie said, try soft foods for Jake, such as turkey or chicken Stage 1 baby food mixed with baby food squash, sweet potatos, peas, or green beans. No spinach-it's bad for them. You could also mix the oil in the baby food.

Also, try giving her water from a plastic needle-less syringe. If necessary, add a drop of unsweetened juice to the water to encourage her. Hopefully, she will not be a lumpy beardie for long. :)

Best of luck,
Esther

Alex14

Original Poster
Thanks for the concern, Esther. Last night and this morning I mashed up spaghetti squash with about 5 drops of olive oil and she at that with no change in the lump. I might just go get her some squash baby food (she loves squash) later tonight for tomorrow morning. Is it ok to just give her some crickets? She really wants them but I'm nervous it'll make her more lumpy. :(

I really don't like being this helpless. I usually am very knowledgeable about animals and their welfare, but reptiles are a mystery to me.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How high up is the lump area? It sounds like it is too high to be a kidney & the liver is basically in the center so I don't think it could be that.
I would continue with the soft foods additions such as the canned pumpkin, sugar free applesauce & baby food squash along with some a drop or two of olive or mineral oil to help him.
Let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

Alex14

Original Poster
It's the hardest on the bottom left of her belly, but it continues up into her abdomen. I find it hard to believe that if that's her colon filled up with an impaction that she can still poop... how is that possible?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It could be a sand impaction, possibly. As long as it keeps moving, then it should hopefully pass through soon. Keep on with the softer foods daily & maybe cut out the feeders for a few days until everything has passed through.
How is she doing tonight?
The impaction, if that is what it is, would most likely be the sand, which could just decrease the size of the area in which food passes through decreasing the volume, etc.

Tracie

warnisha

Juvie Member
Poor Baby!!! Thank goodness she has an owner that cares now!!!! sounds like it is at least moving which is very good!

I would take her to the vet ASAP. It's really best not to guess with things like this. If it is something more serious than impaction it's important that you find out right away so that you have a better chance of treating. My vet says impaction is impossible if the lizard is still pooping so I don't believe that is your issue. I really hope your little beardie is ok. Keep us posted on her condition.

Alex14

Original Poster
Thanks warnisha! What does it look like when they are straining to poop? If it's not better by tomorrow I'm going to have to take her to the vet probably :( Poor Jake! And I freaked her out this morning by accident so much that she bearded at me! She just can't win for loosing.

I'm still waiting on today's poop. Fingers crosses!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No, actually, they can still go to the bathroom even if they are partially impacted. If the area is moving, then that is some progress.
Going to vet is a good idea to ensure everything is on the up & up. Maybe an x-ray too would help also to see what is going on in there.
Let us know how things are coming along.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom