LED Light ok for protecting eyes from UVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris9

I actually have a rankins/Lawsons, but lighting requirements are very similar...

I have a Reptisun 10.0 with a basking light (mini-size incandescent) next to it. I have noticed him looking at the uvb quite a bit lately, and my basking bulb is not very bright when dimmed to give proper temps.

SO - An LED is the only way I can add light without also adding heat :? I just finished mounting an LED 4.5w (40watt equivalent) next to the basking light and uvb tube. It's 2700k so it gives off more of a warm color, fwiw.

It seems really bright, but i guess a 40watt equivalent would be too too bright :?:

Would greatly appreciate some input before I start using it :)

MAK

Hatchling Member
I would suggest something that gives off more of a daylight color, like 5000k . A fluorescent light is what i would suggest

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I don't know much about lights, but I'm interested in an answer if it comes by. I'm thinking of doing something similar.

My question though is where is your UVB bulb? Ideally you want it directly overhead. Bright lights don't do very much to protect the eyes. They are important to simulate the brightness of a very sunny day, but can't protect the eyes if the UVB is pointed directly at them.

Can you use a lower wattage basking bulb so you don't dim it so much?

chris9

Original Poster
Thanks MAK :)
Would a CFL coil style bulb or spot be ok? I know they are not to be used for UVB, but would they be ok for supplemental light like this?

Hey Tater :)
My understanding is that you need brightness to keep the pupil constricted(?) because the uvb light doesn't cause enough constriction to protect their eyes from damage.... I may be wrong though. I just know that my Reptisun 10.0 is a good bit brighter than the dimmed basking bulb.

Would love some clarification or correction from someone :blob5:

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
chris9":300aykvz said:
Thanks MAK :)
Would a CFL coil style bulb or spot be ok? I know they are not to be used for UVB, but would they be ok for supplemental light like this?

Hey Tater :)
My understanding is that you need brightness to keep the pupil constricted(?) because the uvb light doesn't cause enough constriction to protect their eyes from damage.... I may be wrong though. I just know that my Reptisun 10.0 is a good bit brighter than the dimmed basking bulb.

Would love some clarification or correction from someone :blob5:

Yep, you want a nice bright light for just that reason. However, while that is true, it doesn't offer protection if the angle of the light is pointing right in the eye. The pupil can't constrict enough to block out all the light.

chris9

Original Poster
Taterbug":enj7a8lk said:
I don't know much about lights, but I'm interested in an answer if it comes by. I'm thinking of doing something similar.

My question though is where is your UVB bulb? Ideally you want it directly overhead. Bright lights don't do very much to protect the eyes. They are important to simulate the brightness of a very sunny day, but can't protect the eyes if the UVB is pointed directly at them.

Can you use a lower wattage basking bulb so you don't dim it so much?

Thanks for the info about the light not shining directly into their eyes! Sorry I didn't address the rest of your reply. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding...

The LED that I got is kinda shaped like a spotlight, but isn't very focused at all, and is pointing toward the center of the viv. The walls of the viv are all white, so it gives a lot of bounced light.... The basking light is directly over the basking spot. The uvb tube is 4" from that. And then on the other side of the UVB is where i mounted the LED. Here is the LED light if it helps - http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?productId=50107666

I bought a bunch of bulbs, and the one that i'm using is the one that required the least amount of dimming i believe :?

I have no doubt I'm making this much harder than it is :banghead:

chris9

Original Poster
And herez a pic in case it helps...
lightingQ.jpg

chris9

Original Poster
In the picture above, the incandescent bulb is the basking light. It is directly over the basking spot. I have been reading posts (in addition to Taterbug's above) saying that the UVB should be directly above the basking spot. How do we do that if the basking spot bulb is there? I could move the UVB closer, but worry about the heat from the basking light damaging the uvb tube or fixture? What am i missing here? :banghead:

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
They can't exist exactly above/next to each other, but you want them at the same area, aimed at the basking spot. Not one on each end or the tank, or the UVB on the wall or so forth. I think your set up looks ok, it's similar to what I am running actually, I just have one bulb and the tube though. I do feel mine is too dark.

My concern with LEDs would be what the spectra they emit looks like. We have a very different range of visible light than dragons, so the output may look different for them. I haven't studied it, so I can't say one way or another.

chris9

Original Poster
That all makes sense. Thanks :D

Yeah. I won't be using the LED until I see evidence that they are safe. Should have looked into it before buying it :? ...I'm going to see if I can find a small cfl coil bulb that will work there. My cool side is already a few degrees higher than i'd like, so trying to add the least amount of heat possible. Especially with summer coming on.

MAK

Hatchling Member
What I have is a double tube fixture so in one socket I use the uvb and in the other I use a +5000k flourescent light. On the other half of the viv I have a cfl pointed at the far side of the viv so that the whole viv is nice and bright (its 5ft long)

chris9

Original Poster
That sounds good, Mak 8)
Is your CFL a spotlight or in a hood or something to let you direct it?

I don't have a double fixture, but maybe I could do the cfl, and add a shorter fluorescent fixture to my cool side with a 5000k tube.

Thanks for the help :)

MAK

Hatchling Member
My cfl is on a clamp on light so I can point it but i took off the half dome so that it would be super bright everywhere.

kenny_boy019

Juvie Member
If you want a good full spectrum bulb the Verilux brand bulbs are the best. Their made in Germany and are the only fluorescent bulb to be a true full spectrum. A 5000k bulbs spectrum is almost totally in the 5000k range, not much if any red/green. The Verilux bulbs are technically rated at about 6200k, but in reality are almost totally even across the visible spectrum. I have a couple of 32w T8s and I'm going to put one into the viv I'm going to build (two would probably be overkill with these!). They do also make a 15w T8. The bulbs are about $12 for either on Amazon, but check local lighting retailers as they may be cheaper and the shipping is bloody expensive.

Just realised this was my first post in 6 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom