Leatherbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SugaReina

Hey everyone!
So, I have this need to constantly scan breeder pages just to see what they have brewing, and I noticed that most of the breeders are really pushing the leatherbacks. I've spoken to some people who do not really agree with the leatherbacks because it is a "disorder"? Personally, I prefer the spikey look of a beardie, but the leatherbacks are beautiful too. I just wanted to know if anyone else had an opinion on them? Also, do they require special care? Thanks!

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Hey there,
It is true that leatherbacks are a genetic disorder. However they require no special care like a silkback does. Now im a small time breeder and only own 1 leatherback. She is to young to breed and I go back and forth if I want to. Roughly 50% of what she produces should be leatherback if she is a true itailian leatherback. Here is a link to some genetic info that may be useful.
http://www.mbdragons.eu/en/genetica.html

SugaReina

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, Tom! I'm curious though, as a breeder, why would it be attractive to breed a disorder? I feel a little badly that people are breeding just for a specific appearance...? I've also noticed that they are significantly more expensive than your average beardie (also depending on the site you go to). Do you think this is just a trend? Do you think it's fair? I feel so torn, because a huge part of me REALLY wants one, but I can't help but feel bad that its really a disorder. Also, would a beardie survive in the wild like this? Is there any controversy over this breed?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Youve kinda hit the nail on the head for Me as well.
They are very popular right now. So regardless of morals someone is going to breed them.
I love how they look to and thats why I have allesandra. Breeding her down the road I flipflop on.
It doesnt appear that the genetic disorder affects health or care, but what are the long term affects and what are we as breeders doing to an already thin and depleted gene pool. I just dont have a clear answer on this. I dont think as a fad this is going to go away. At least as far as leathers go. The hobbyist is in a great spot tho. If you are not going to breed it should be no different than picking out a pooper that catches your eye.

This is relatively new to me. I've thought about it, but figured it'd be best if someone smarter than me thought about it XD

I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm sure these could have a relatively tough time in the wild, seeing as they're not quite as "intimidating" as normals. However, it's not like these sweet animals are going to end up in the wild because they're being sold to good owners (hopefully) and will live a happy life. I don't own one myself, and I don't plan on buying another dragon until James turns into a calm, old man, but I'm pretty positive I'd be interested in a leatherback.
All breeders, when it comes down to it, breed for appearance, temper, and health. More rare dragons are more expensive, so it seems natural to me that the leatherbacks, being relatively new, are pricey.

SugaReina

Original Poster
Well, I agree that for the hobbyist there is nothing wrong in owning a leatherback. I would definitely scoop one up a lot faster if they weren't everywhere right now! I just feel that the breeders are taking away their uniqueness by breeding them this way. Also, I believe that it's really not natural. I just wanetd to have a healthy chat/debate about the topic. It's just a little disheartening to see that our favorite animals are deliberately being altered with a disorder. Granted they are not giong back to the wild (and thank goodness for that), but it just is not what the world intended for beardies. Maybe one day, the normal beardie will be rare, and all we'll have will be leatherbacks (though I really doubt that).

Indie85

Hatchling Member
I dont really know much about beardie genetics, but as long as any animal holds a high price tag, there will always be someone who wants to breed and make money on it, regardless of the health effects.

I don't think it's anything that will change. Just look at dog breeding! As long as someone is willing to buy, there will always be someone willing to breed.

SugaReina

Original Poster
You make a great point about dogs - there are plenty of breeds that I don't agree with! Thanks for chatting, everyone! I just thought it was an interesting topic.

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Very true, just look at how many designer breeds are out there (you can put a -poo at the end of any breed). I personally have three dragons that aren't leatherbacks, but I have seen some absolutely gorgeous leatherbacks. I personally prefer going with bloodlines for animals that are bred well. I don't know if I would get a leatherback or not, I do quite like spikes on my dragons.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
This is a most interesting topic.
90% of what Ive bred are large colorful dragons.
Im even keeping a normal line going myself just because I like them.
Soon leathers will be very common and I will be left behind not bothering to catch up.....lol
Even the few I may breed down the road will be at the low end of the price range by the time I produce them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom