Leatherback VS Normal scale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone

Getting a bearded dragon very soon and i really cant decide on if i should go with normal scale or leather back. Ive always loved the normal scale but leatherbacks looks so cool to, the colors come out on them so nicely. omggg such a hard decision lol ive been going back and forth for weeks and cant decide helpppp

these are the 2 im looking at
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=63ded1a27d4c3470f86bbb7e5afb70b2&oe=570EBFE6
and
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=b1cad25d1d619c094c4bc5c66029d43f&oe=570F7755

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
justins1991":22e81pgi said:
Hey everyone

Getting a bearded dragon very soon and i really cant decide on if i should go with normal scale or leather back. Ive always loved the normal scale but leatherbacks looks so cool to, the colors come out on them so nicely. omggg such a hard decision lol ive been going back and forth for weeks and cant decide helpppp

these are the 2 im looking at
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=63ded1a27d4c3470f86bbb7e5afb70b2&oe=570EBFE6
and
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=b1cad25d1d619c094c4bc5c66029d43f&oe=570F7755

I typically like the leatherbacks more. I like the feel of them,and the way the colors look on the smooth scales. With that being said, of the two you are looking at, I actually like the coloring on the normal one better. which breeder is that from?

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
His colors came in better as he aged, hes nice looking. what breeder is that from? dragons typically get easier to care for as they get older too so thats a plus!

justins1991

Original Poster
those pics are actually from the same day it must be weird lighting i guess haha
i still sooooo undecided i cant chose haha and there from Red Hot Chili Dragons, its in ontario canada haha

They are both firetiger types you can see the purple/blue stipes they have the leatherback has alot more and keep in mind the white will turn to more of an orange color as well she said they aslways fade out of the white

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
justins1991":oxeh2tm7 said:
those pics are actually from the same day it must be weird lighting i guess haha
i still sooooo undecided i cant chose haha and there from Red Hot Chili Dragons, its in ontario canada haha

They are both firetiger types you can see the purple/blue stipes they have the leatherback has alot more and keep in mind the white will turn to more of an orange color as well she said they aslways fade out of the white

Ah, yes I have heard of them before. The "type" is actually just tiger, fire is the color of tigers they specialize in. Tigers come in all different colors :)

But like I said earlier, I generally prefer the leatherback myself, I just really like that normals design. One thing to keep in mind too, while breeders can make educated guesses on what a dragons coloring will turn out looking like based off of what others have in the past and what the parents look like, its almost impossible to truly predict how the colors will go. I have had dragons from the same clutch before where the dull one grew all kinds of crazy vibrant colors as he got older and the brighter ones with more pronounced bars , faded in color and all but lost his bars. It just depends on the dragon. I can't really tell from the pic, Are either one Hypo, het hypo, or het trans?

justins1991

Original Poster
not 100% sure they both have the normal eyes not the darker ones and looks like clear nails i thought those traits meant something?

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
justins1991":215fysdd said:
not 100% sure they both have the normal eyes not the darker ones and looks like clear nails i thought those traits meant something?

Trans is the morph that gives darker eyes.

Hypo you tell by the nails, tho I couldnt see the nails very well in the pictures.

Het Hypo and Het Trans means they are carrying the gene but it doesnt show. This isnt something you can tell by looking at it , but rather something that would be in the description or the breeder would tell you.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Those are some nice looking firetigers ! They look like they'll keep their color for the most part. I think the normal scaled one may end up redder but the leatherback looks like it will retain more of a bold blue bar tiger pattern . Both their heads should end up solid red as the pattern disappears.

justins1991

Original Poster
I picked the leatherback cause he's a bit older and way more used to being handled the other was returned cause he's really shy and wouldn't eat I'm afraid to risk bringing him on a plane it would be a sin he will arrive on Thursday

DaddyGeek

Juvie Member
justins1991":3807fpob said:
I picked the leatherback cause he's a bit older and way more used to being handled the other was returned cause he's really shy and wouldn't eat I'm afraid to risk bringing him on a plane it would be a sin he will arrive on Thursday

Well congrats! I love leathers. Most of the dragons I have owned have been leathers. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom