Lazy Lizard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyTony

Hatchling Member
Hi Beardy enthusiasts!

Has anyone else in the UK (or anywhere is thats cold at the moment) noticed thier Beardy almost going back into brumation of late?

I live in north east england and at the moment the weather is sub zero temps at all times.. And one and off Izzy has been sleeping and hiding in the cooler side of the tank. Almost like he's going back into brumation.. He ate loads yesterday and is still pooping every day or 2 and seems happy. Just he isnt wanting to be out like usual and he isnt basking as much today and went to bed early last night.

He is awake at the moment but in the shaded side of the tank - so my question is this: is it normal for them to sleep and not do much when the weather is cooler? I mean i dont know how he knows its cold as he has all the artificial lighting and heat he needs. I am not overly concerned as he ate 10-15 decent sized cricks yesterday, i just wanted to know if its normal behavior for them to become lazier when its colder outside?

Tony

Carterkins

IzzyTony":mzbp3bgf said:
Hi Beardy enthusiasts!

Has anyone else in the UK (or anywhere is thats cold at the moment) noticed thier Beardy almost going back into brumation of late?

I live in north east england and at the moment the weather is sub zero temps at all times.. And one and off Izzy has been sleeping and hiding in the cooler side of the tank. Almost like he's going back into brumation.. He ate loads yesterday and is still pooping every day or 2 and seems happy. Just he isnt wanting to be out like usual and he isnt basking as much today and went to bed early last night.

He is awake at the moment but in the shaded side of the tank - so my question is this: is it normal for them to sleep and not do much when the weather is cooler? I mean i dont know how he knows its cold as he has all the artificial lighting and heat he needs. I am not overly concerned as he ate 10-15 decent sized cricks yesterday, i just wanted to know if its normal behavior for them to become lazier when its colder outside?

Tony

My dragon seems to be similar to what you described, except he's not been eating lately. Maybe he is going into brumation? Mine has never been into brumation since i've had him so I wouldn't know. :S

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
Hey, I'm down the south east, and we just got hit by about 4-5 inches of snow!
My beardie has been up and down with sleepyness and eating, mainly due to my bad lighting :oops: , but the day and following day she did not want to eat at all!! Now, we still have snow, but the weathers sort of getting back to normal, she's eating about 15 phoenix worms each day, weather does have a big effect.
(Mines to young to brumate)

PicosParent

Hatchling Member
I live in Michigan and we have been having weird weather so I think it's messed my little Pico up too!!! I have only had him since October (he is 8 years old) so I don't know if he ever goes into brumation or not.......but, the past few days he has refused to eat and will sit in one place all day in his viv. When I get him out in the evening (I try to make sure he always gets his 10-12 hours under his UVB and basking bulb) he just wants to cuddle on me. He doesn't want to go anywhere if I set him down and he is always falling asleep. I have been very worried about him so I am happy to hear that others are experiencing this too!!!

IzzyTony

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
seems i'm not alone :) lets hope some of the more experienced owners can shed some light for us :)

loriannlee

I have two lizards. I changed them to a new and much larger tank - from 20 to 100 gallons. In the 20 gallon tank the two of them were always cuddling, now they are at opposite ends of the tank. At first one ran around and was loving it, now they both stay on opposite ends and rarely do I see them on top of each other. Is this normal? I live in NJ and it is cold, could that be it?

Caramell

Hatchling Member
loriannlee":at0mhtmz said:
I have two lizards. I changed them to a new and much larger tank - from 20 to 100 gallons. In the 20 gallon tank the two of them were always cuddling, now they are at opposite ends of the tank. At first one ran around and was loving it, now they both stay on opposite ends and rarely do I see them on top of each other. Is this normal? I live in NJ and it is cold, could that be it?
You may want to think about separating them immediately... Read this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=154908

IzzyTony

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah i heard that housing them together can cause issues :(

Anyway seems im not alone in the issue im having! Izzy is now under his hide. He ate pretty well today and yesterday and did a HUGE poop today, so im taking that as a good sign :))

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom