Lazy Juvie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Born4spd

Hi, great site you all have here i look forward to learning a lot about my beardie :)

My Beardie (fluffy) is acting weird now, he lays on his belly with his eyes closed in his basking light.
I have him in a 40 gallon breeder with a Powersun UV 100 watt bulb (mega ray will be here in a few days :) )
Basking: 103 Cool side 83.
He eats atleast 40 5/8th of an inch crickets a day. (twice a day)
I also am running a Repti Sun 10.0 at the moment.
DOB : 4-25-09
I thought it was maybe the powersun , so i turned it off and put the zoo med basking light in instead, it puts out he same temps. ( iused my pro exotics temp gun to check)
Also today when i was feeding him he ate a BIG cricket that i missed when pouring the crix in for him to hunt( i love watching him hunt :] ). Im thinking maybe that upset his little tummy or something.

Also, he HATES me, :( i put my hand in there and he opens his mouth and hisses, if i scoop him up he will sit on my hand but it i make any movement he hisses and acts like hes gonna bite (he hasnt yet)

Thanks for the help.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I worry that the PowerSun might be hurting his eyes. Here is a link about it. viewtopic.php?f=45&t=105630. It is best that the bulb is turned off ASAP. Just using the basking bulb and the reptisun 10.0 for now. My guess is you will notice a HUGE difference in him when you get the new light. Also, I think a reptisun and a Powersun is too much UVB which can be damaging to their eyes. I don't think you will want to use the reptisun and megaray together, but hopefully someone can confirm (I don't use MVBs). How big is he? Are the 5/8" crix smaller than the space between his eyes? I ask because I feed my almost 7 m/o 5/8" to 3/4".
Sara

Born4spd

Original Poster
spurlee01":1bdbe said:
I worry that the PowerSun might be hurting his eyes. Here is a link about it. viewtopic.php?f=45&t=105630. It is best that the bulb is turned off ASAP. Just using the basking bulb and the reptisun 10.0 for now. My guess is you will notice a HUGE difference in him when you get the new light. Also, I think a reptisun and a Powersun is too much UVB which can be damaging to their eyes. I don't think you will want to use the reptisun and megaray together, but hopefully someone can confirm (I don't use MVBs). How big is he? Are the 5/8" crix smaller than the space between his eyes? I ask because I feed my almost 7 m/o 5/8" to 3/4".
Sara

Hi thanks for the response,
The crix are smaller than the distance between his eyes, all of them were except some big fat cricket that got past inspection and he ate it. :/
I dust with repcal and herpivite too.

I currently have the Power sun off and am only running a basking light and the reptisun 10.0.
I got him from a reputable breeder, so it isnt a problem with his bloodline or parasites or anything.

BTW He poops pretty regular, today he had a BIG poop though, it wasnt hard or anything it was just a big pile of mush. (sorry for the graphic details, i feel they may help with diagnosis)

Its sleep time for him now so im hoping hell be better in the morning.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Lilly's gotten crix that are too big before and been fine. I know how it is to grab a handful and realize a tenth of a second too late that one was too big. How long has the powersun been off? Sometimes i takes 7 days or so for their eye problems to clear up after the bulb is turned off. You can also drip some non-chemical saline solution into his eyes to help clear up the irritation. As long as the poop isn't majorly runny or extra smelly it's probably fine. Don't worry about graphic, I have posted pics of poop before lol.
Sara

Neromom39

Gray-bearded Member
Looks like Sara has it all covered however I use MVBs and for future reference I advise you not to use an MVB and another UVB source at the same time. MVBs are pretty powerful, so even if the Powersun's were not having issues at the moment, your little guy may have been closing his eyes due to too much UVBs. Kudos for turning off the Powersun :D

Born4spd

Original Poster
No it wasnt runny so to speak , it was more like a jello.... lol

Ive had the lamp off for about 6 hours now. (hes sleeping now :) )

And the smelly part, i mean they stink if you smell them ( i did earlier today after i read that too smelly means parasites).

But how do you know if its too smelly? :lol: I wish it was like the temp and there was a smell-o-meter.

Born4spd

Original Poster
Neromom39":22307 said:
Looks like Sara has it all covered however I use MVBs and for future reference I advise you not to use an MVB and another UVB source at the same time. MVBs are pretty powerful, so even if the Powersun's were not having issues at the moment, your little guy may have been closing his eyes due to too much UVBs. Kudos for turning off the Powersun :D

So should i use the reptisun only until i get the megaray and burn it in?
Or should i just use the powersun?

(it was in the "new box" it had the mean looking red dragon on the front with his mouth open looking all cool and stuff) :wink:

Anyone know why he is always grumpy? Is that normal at this age?

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Well, I usually don't smell it much until I'm in the viv cleaning it up. Sometimes there is a very light odor that I can smell when I walk into the room. If it's gagging you from the other side of the room, it's too smelly. The jello consistency concerns me a bit, but one odd poop is nothing to worry about. If they continue, I would consider a fecal. My vet does them for around $10. I can't tell you much about MVBs and burn-ins, sorry. Keep the powersun off though. Asfor the grumpiness, it may be the age or he may still be a bit intimidated by you. Put a shirt that smells like you in his viv so he gets used to your smell. Try feeding worms from your hand. Cuddle around bed time when he will be less feisty. More tips here: viewtopic.php?p=845552
Sara

Born4spd

Original Poster
Got my megaray in, workin great, i was looking into the "burn in" and i closely watched the temps all day, and they seem to have stabilized. I check them throughout the day though so im not worried about heat.

The little booger is doing great now, after having the light on him his apetite increased (actually doubled from 20 -40 crix) He also shed his skin to reveal some BEAUTIFUL yellow coloring.

Still having one problem, he bit me!

i was trying to hold him and then BAM he grabbed my thumb, i kept holding him anyway.

Is it always this hard to tame them?
The little hatchlings at work are soooooo tame they climb into your hand, i just want my little guy to do this. :( :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom