Lazy Dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacelySprocket

Hatchling Member
So, Sprocket's been very lazy/mopey lately... after several weeks of running around his tank like a spaz, running into the glass, tapping his nose on it, trying to climb up the walls, etc.

Now for the past couple of weeks he's been really lazy. Lounging about, napping a lot. Still eating well, eyes clear, very alert and attentive still. When I take him out of the tank he runs around the house and explores everything.

Nothing has changed in his enclosure. MegaRay only a few months old, gets plenty of calcium, a variety of foods...

Should I be worried about him?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How old is your dragon?
Your Megaray is fine. How close is it to him? How often do you give calcium?
What are the temps in the tank, & what do you use to measure the temps with?
It is very possible he is trying to do a semi brumation phase. Has he been eating anything lately?

Tracie

SpacelySprocket

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sprocket is about 1.5 years old (I think)
He can get within 12 inches of the MegaRay
No change in temps from before. He prefers to hang on the warm side his favorite basking spot is about 115 degrees.

He is still eating veggies and bugs, maybe a little decrease in appetite, but nothing significant. When he's in his tank he is all lazy and naps a lot, when I take him out he runs around and explores the house. He still very responsive and alert and is not showing any signs of sickness or distress.

He gets baths every other day or so and always does his business then, so I know everything is moving just fine!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They just tend to be lazy in their tanks alot of times, but will still explore once they get out of their tanks as they love to run around & explore.
I think, at his age, he is probably in a short little brumation phase which is pretty common though during this time of year. He should start to pick up a little bit more in a month or so once the days are really lengthening out & the weather hopefully starts to change a little bit.
It sounds like he is healthy so I would try not to worry too much about him at the moment. :D Though I realize just how difficult that is sometimes.

Tracie

SpacelySprocket

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks, it always eases my mind a bit to get some feedback from other beardie owners. Particularly since this is my first one and I don't want to do anything wrong as I love him!

The only reason I was worried was because he had been SOOOO ACTIVE a few weeks ago for a couple of weeks. I mean really being a spaz. Running back and forth across the tank, climbing the walls, spazzing out! Then he just stopped, became super cool chill beardie.

It was such a quick and drastic change I worried. But, like I said he's eating well, alert, and showing no signs of distress, so I'm going stop worrying!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They can sometimes just "chill" out all of the sudden. Maybe he settled in more perhaps?
He might have just gotten all of the craziness out of his system, too. We have a dragon that goes through phases like that also. It is like he is a madman, running crazy for weeks, then, he just calms down.
Also, I think he just wanted more attention from you too! :mrgreen:

Tracie

starlake

I agree that your dragon probably just calmed down. If you just got him, he may have been stressed from the move. My Pogona will react that way to moves, a large amount of noise, or high-pitched sounds.

Heather

SpacelySprocket

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've actually had him for a little over a year... He doesn't puff up his beard as much as he used too, mostly just when he wakes up in the morning. But he does bob his head now (which he never used to do) and his beard gets black now too. I think he's just growing up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom