Lazy Dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my bearded dragon a few months ago. She is very friendly, loves being handled. I was wondering how active she is supposed to be. It seems she just sits under her heat lamp all day. The only time I see her move around is when I put crickets in, and even then she chases one or two then just waits for the rest to come near her. Her previous owners were pretty bad. They feed her crickets once a week and carrots every other day. I feed her kale every other day and crickets every other day. I coat the crickets with calcium and once a week I coat them with multivitamins. Is she just not supposed to be that active or is there something wrong? Thanks for any help!

Mine has been doing the same thing. He is very lazy but not every day. About once or twice a week he will get active run around explore his cage glass dance. But most of the time he sits on his sunning spot and doesn't move. I even have to pick him up and bring him to his food or he would never eat. I hope it is normal. He seems ok.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Melissalev420":c0549 said:
feed her kale every other day and crickets every other day. I coat the crickets with calcium and once a week I coat them with multivitamins.

Firstly, how old is she??

Secondly, Kale binds calcium and is therefore not a recommended staple... your better feeding dark leafy greens such as collard greens - take a look at the nutrition info on http://www.beautifuldragons.com. Also, she should be offered salad EVERYDAY no matter what her age.

I dont think that is the issue you are having tho - how is she other than her laziness?

Melissalev420

Original Poster
Thanks for that info. When I first got her I read online and it told me that kale was okay for daily feeding. That site you gave seems to have a lot more information though. I will switch to collard greens right away, she has had them before and likes them. I believe she is around 3 years old. The people before me had her for 2 and a half years. I'm not sure how old she was when they bought her. She seems fine other than not being very active. She takes a bath once a week and splashes around. She eats normally, I will switch her to salad everyday though. She doesn't seem to drink much. She has a water bowl that I change almost everyday. When she is in the bath she will drink but I've never seen her drink from her bowl. I'm new to being a lizard owner so I'm not sure if shes normal and I'm paranoid or if something is wrong.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Well at 3 years old, she should eat mostly salad - so it should ALWAYS be available to them throughout the day and then maybe 50 crickets per week (im not 100% positive on that as I dont feed crix) - split across the week as you wish to - she needs calcium 3x per week and vitamins 1x (I think thats what you have been doing anyway). She may just be a more laid back dragon or it could be the temps or enclosure so I just have a couple more questions...

1) what is the basking temperature (on the spot where she lies)?
2) how are you measuring those temps?
3) what colour and wattage basking bulb are you using?
4) are you using a separate uv source - is it a coil, flourescent tube or mvb?
4) what size is her enclosure?
5) what substrate are you using?

I think thats all for now lol!! Sorry for all the questions!!!

T

Melissalev420

Original Poster
1) what is the basking temperature (on the spot where she lies)? It's usually around 110
2) how are you measuring those temps? I have a thermometer directly under her light and one in the far corner
3) what colour and wattage basking bulb are you using? It's red and I'm not sure on wattage. It's a RepPro 250V if that helps
4) are you using a separate uv source - is it a coil, flourescent tube or mvb? Tube. It's a ESU Reptile Super UV Daylight
4) what size is her enclosure? Not sure on the size but I can show you a pic. I think it's around 50 gal
5) what substrate are you using? What? I don't know what that is.

P1160015.jpg

P1160018.jpg

MissT

BD.org Addict
Ok, there are a few things which are, more than likely, causing your beardie to be lethargic...

1)
Melissalev420":40580 said:
how are you measuring those temps? I have a thermometer directly under her light and one in the far corner
I see the dial type thermometors - they can be as much as 20F out!! You need to get a digital therm with probe - They are available at walmart I believe. This will give you an accurate reading of the basking spot and allow you to adjust the heat if necessary.

2)
what colour and wattage basking bulb are you using? It's red and I'm not sure on wattage. It's a RepPro 250V if that helps
You need to replace the red bulb with a bright white bulb - a normal household flood/halogen/spot light will do just fine. This will allow her to correctly dilate her pupils, AND simulate a more natural environment for her.

3)
are you using a separate uv source - is it a coil, flourescent tube or mvb? Tube. It's a ESU Reptile Super UV Daylight
These bulbs seem to get pretty bad press around this website - the only recommended UV bulbs are (best first)
1) Repti-SUN 10.0 TUBE
2) Repti-SUN 5.0 TUBE
The ESU, Repti-GLO, all coils/compacts, have been known to cause lethargy and severe eye problems so I would try to get that sorted ASAP.

4)
what substrate are you using? What? I don't know what that is.
Substrate is basically flooring - sand/tile/paper towel. Is that calci-sand you are using - if so, remove it ASAP also as calci-sand, if ingested, can cause severe impactions - it hardens like cement in the stomach and is almost impossible to move along - replace it with paper towels until you decide on an alternative. Playsand is the ONLY widely accepted sand substrate.

I had all this to sort out when I got my first beardie!! It was worth it tho as she has turned into a beautiful, healthy girl, thanks to the advice I recieved on this forum!

I hope this helps...

T

Melissalev420

Original Poster
Not to sound dense, but I have a few questions still...

So basically replace red with white, ESU with Sun tube (do you know where I can get one?), and calcium sand with something else. What kind of paper towels? Shredded or just layed down? Can I use just a bare tank? That sounds uncomfortable. What kind of tile? Also, what do I probe the thermometer into? She has a rock under the lamp. Should I move that and just have the ground? And why do they sell Calcium Sand for reptile cages if it's bad for them?

Sorry to be such a pain. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I'm going to remove the sand ASAP and try to get to the store to get the rest of the supplies. Thank you so much for all your help!

MissT

BD.org Addict
Yes, replace the red bulb with a light.
You can get the sun tube from http://www.petmountain.com - just make sure its the repti-SUN as its really the only option.
Just lay down paper towels - they dont need to be shredded. I used them for ages when my little one was a baby. Another option for flooring is non-adhesive shelf liner if you can get any. I wouldnt leave it bare as it will be a pain to clear up.

The digital thermometors with a probe end are available at wall mart. The probe will be on a long wire. Basically, you just set the probe where she basks, wait 45 mins and you will get a pretty accurate reading. Her rock is absolutely fine where it is - its not a heat rock is it?

They sell calcium sand to make money. Basically. I have seen pictures of what it can do to a lizards insides and it does actually completely block up their insides! Its disgusting.

Thanks for taking these things on board! Good luck getting the supplies!

T

Melissalev420

Original Poster
I took out the sand last night and replaced it with paper towels. I'm going now to get the lights and thermometer. Thank you for all your help. I will post some more pics and an update on how Marley likes it!

MissT

BD.org Addict
Great that you got rid of the sand. She is a very lucky girl!! AND I should add, she is so cute looking up at the camera from her rock - a very pretty girl!

I hope she likes the changes you make! Cant wait to see her updated pics!!

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom