Lazy Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

VixenJB

My three month old bearded dragon has been really lazy and boring, he used to be fairly active but in the last month he has become unusually lazy. All he seems to do is bask in one spot the entire day with minimal movement unless he gets too hot he moves down the branch. He keeps his head up and is alert he also doesnt have any other physical behaviors that would indicate he is sick.

His viv is as follows:
50 gallon tank
Temperatures are 90-100 on the hot side and 75-85 on the cool side
Have a 10.0 reptisun UVB the fluorescent not the coil

He gets offered veggies every other day and I feed him twice a day around 40 half grown crickets they are about half inch in size on average. Not sure if he is just being fed to much and thats why he is lazy also when I take him out of his viv he just sits there and looks around never really scurrying around to explore anything he will just sit there and move maybe a few inches and remain in the same spot and eventually after about 30 minutes I put him back in his tank.

Another odd thing I would like to add, he recently shed about 2 weeks ago a full body shed and now he seems to be shedding again is this normal for it to be happening again so fast, I know it happens every few weeks for younger beardies but last time it took him around a month between sheds but regardless when he is or isnt shedding he still is lazy.

Is my beardie just a lazy guy or is there something that seems to be causing this?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, sorry to hear that your baby beardie is concerning you. What size tank is he in and what are the wattages of the heat bulb(s) you're using? Also what type of thermometer do you have, a round dial (gauge), digital strip, temperature gun or digital with a long wire & probe end? Where exactly are you checking the temps? What is the distance of the UVB bulb and is it right alongside a bright white basking bulb?

How often are you dusting the feeders with calcium & vitamins? It would be a good idea to offer fresh greens daily. What greens are you using? For a baby, you can actually offer him 3 feeders a day, all the crickets he wants to eat in a 10 to 15 min time frame each time. No, 40 crickets isn't too many.

How often are you bathing him? Is he pooping 2 to 4 times a day? Does it look & smell normal?

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
My baby beardie does not run all over his cage. He will move to different areas of the tank but he will chill for a long time. My 3 year old adult only moves 2-3 times a day unless he is free roaming then he runs all over the place for hours.

VixenJB

Original Poster
As I stated before he is in a 50 gallon tank, the wattages right now are only a 100 watt basking bulb on him and the UVB light. The thermometer im using is a digital one with a probe end. I have been checking the basking spot where he likes to sit on his branch and also several places in close proximity. I also check the other end of the tank where i have a rock set up for him there to sit on. The tank itself is 20 inches high and I have the UVB right at the top of the tank since I am currently waiting for a different fixture so I can place the UVB inside the tank since I heard that is the best.

I dust the crickets once a day with calcium 5 times a week, and vitamins on the 2 days off of calcium. I tend to give him collard greens and dandelion greens and occasionally I will throw in some escarole, I also sometimes add some green beans but not as much maybe once every two weeks.

He is pooping normal and it smells normal too, he usually goes 2-3 times a day and I bathe him once every three days on average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom