Last resort for heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
My cousin bought a baby beardie at a pet store and was given horrendous information. I sent all the info I've acquired from you guys and the care sheet along with the nutrition sheet. They aren't sure of their nighttime temps yet but fear it will fall below 60 degrees. Not sure of baby's age but seems to be around a couple weeks.

As a last resort until they can afford and acquire the che would it be suggested to go ahead and use that red reptile heat bulb they force on you for nighttime heat? I really wish these pet stores gave better care info. They even had him on sand until I pushed for the paper towels :(

Advice as always is appreciated.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
The red light will be fine so long as they cover their babies head with a blanket to block out the light. Jace has a log I put him in at night and then put a towel over the entrance so he doesn't get the light.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thank you! They're coming over to grab all of our extra supplies tomorrow morning. I'm giving them fresh veggies, calcium dusting, and some of our crickets and Phoenix worms. Just really want them to get a good start for the new little guy :)

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks! I'm only about 4 weeks into this myself and everything I know I learned here. I can safely say that I know the major "do and do nots" with the babies. It just breaks my heart that they took him in without the time or money to properly care for him. I understand they're advertised as "low maintenance" but in my own experience so far...there's more to it than most people are lead to believe.

I'm just going to do what I can to get them through the next couple weeks (they ran out of $ at the pet store) and have to wait for their next checks to even feed him :(

Fizzylady

Hatchling Member
Their night time temps might not be as bad as they fear. My bd is in my sons room. We keep the thermostat around 70* and my son runs his ceiling fan all night and the bd's tank is usually about 68* in the morning - which is still in the acceptable range. Maybe they won't even need the night heat source?

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I actually suggested just shutting the lights off for the night. If his lights were on for the right amount of time at the right temps, I can't see them dropping too low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom