Last 2" of tail turning darker - not a shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smid

Hatchling Member
So Smid!'s tail tip (2-3") just shed, before the shed I thought it had turned darker - but thought that it was just due to the shed and it would return to it's colour. It hasn't really done that. There is a slight bump (on the sides of the tail not top or bottom) if you run your fingers down the tail. He doesn't like to be touched there - but he never really did. It hasn't been caught in anything or ... I don't really know what may have happened to it. I'm at a loss. Maybe it's nothing?? It does get lighter and darker when he does - but never quite as light as the rest of him.

what do you think?
DSC00052.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

Thanks,

Liz

TamiLynne

Hatchling Member
My kid has the same thing, but it's because when I picked him up at a show the breeder pinched his tail in the little deli cup lid as he was putting him in. It's got the same little tiny kink in it and is a little different color than the rest of the tail. If he can still feel when you touch the tip then he's got circulation, so it might just be an old pinch that healed a little funny. No worries. :D

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Liz, I don't really see anything wrong in the picture! :? It may have been pinched or even from a cricket bite maby!! Just keep an eye on it and see if it at all changes!! Good luck!!

mpinsky

Hatchling Member
Shenron has the same thing (at first I thought it was an unretained shed, but it's just a slight variation in his color). Is this new? If so, it could be an unretained shed, which can easily come off by scrubbing it gently with a toothbrush and baby oil. If not, it could just be some slight variation in his coloring.

Smid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's a difference in colour - he just shed and it all came off - this was the only part that shed. It just happened before he shed, I'm not sure what it is - guess I wont worry until it gets worse.

Liz

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
I had the same hting happen to M.J. I posted on here too lol but the pics didn't come out. I was told by lots of members when they're stressed the last part of the tail will turn black. I couldn't figure it out because whe would have pure white belly and BLACK.. i mean BLACKEST BLACK color on like 2 inch of her tail. After a few days.. I think almost a week it wen't away. Sometimes it will come back but I dont worry about it. So no worries.. =)

Smid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Really, stress?? hmm I wonder what's troubling the little guy?? nothing has changed - :?: Here are some better photos - it was more evident during bath time tonight.

DSC00062.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

Liz

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
For a while, Redrocks tail would turn dark like that, then, eventually it would shed. Then what seemed to me almost immediately, it would turn that color again. There was never anything wrong with her tail.

Smid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, thanks everyone. It just seemed strange to all of a sudden turn dark after having him for a year.

Liz

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Less blood circulations reaches the end of the tail than any other part of their bodies. So being said often in subadult and adult beardies when the tail is perparing to shed it will stay like this for awhile before it actually sheds. The end of the tail in older beardies takes longer to shed due to the lessened blood circulation in that area...than it takes for any other part of their body.

I have 6 out of 9 that look similar to your pic's right now.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Hey Barb thanks for that great info !! I've always wondered why MJ's tail takes FOREVER to shed. See ? You learn something new everyday with this site !!! :mrgreen:

Smid

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Great!! Thanks!! That makes sense, I was trying to figure out what happened and I couldn't. How long after a shed does it stay like that? I'm guessing it depends on the individual beardie...?? Thanks again

Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom