Large Lump?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
I just noticed tonight that my beardie has a large lump on the back of his neck/head. It is the size of a standard marble!

I didn't notice it there at all before today and I hold him at least a few times a week and almost everyday when I can. He has always been under reptisun 10.0 and temps are 105 at basking spot. He is two years old.

I did put a new log in his tank a couple weeks ago and realized that a bunch of crix were living in it and he hasn't been eating them all so quickly due to a little brumation. I am wondering if maybe a cricket tried biting him. I hope tumors don't grow that quickly. I am going to keep an eye on it for the next couple of days as this is the worst time of year for a vet bill. I just don't have any extra money right now (when it rains it pours). The lump seems a little hard but not like a rock and he doesn't seem bothered at all when I touch it or rub it. No signs of pain. His color is good and his eating is normal for this time of year.

Any help or experiences are much appreciated.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Definitely make sure you remove any uneaten crickets from his tank!! It could very well be a bite from one of them. I would recommend a bath, a little warmer than usual, adding warmer and warmer water gradually, so he doesn't get upset, and see if you can prop him so that that area is under the water without getting water in his ears or nose. If not, then a hot wet compress will work fine too. If it is a cyst from a bite, this should help draw it out. I would also swab the area with betadine a few times a day and do the soaks/compresses a few times a day until something changes. I don't know if anyone else has other ideas though...

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I didn't realize that crix were hiding in the deeper pores of the new log and once I got the mall out I fed last night after removing the log and captured uneaten crix and then put the log back in.

The only other abnormal thing that has happened was when I was cleaning his cage two days ago I put him in his usual tub and he learned how to jump and get over the side I wonder if he fell and bumped himself? I don't know what a bruise would look like. There is no discoloration at all and like I said know signs of pain. It is the same size this morning so hopefully it starts to go down. I will try a warm bath and do you know where I can buy betadine?

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Drug stores usually have it near where the first aid stuff is (hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, etc). Even if you don't need it, it is a good thing to have around for all kinds of injuries, scratches, scrapes, what-have-you.

I don't know if it could be a bump from falling. It's a wait and see thing, if it is though, the hot compress can't hurt.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, could you post a picture of that for us, that would help.
It could be an abscess possibly if you feel crickets had bitten him while in his cave. That is too bad.
Start feeding him in a different bin so they don't hide in the tank & cave areas. They are sneaky little things & inflict terrible bites.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I do remove them but obviously miss a few that hid in deeper crevasses. I already posted that I remove the problem log now and going foreward. It was an accident that I missed the crickets. I have tried repeatedly to feed him in a bin and he refuses to eat.

I will post a pic tonight if I have time. I am working late so I will post tomorrow if I din't tonight.

I appreciate the help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, so that just came up over night? It appears to be a possible abscess. Is it soft to the touch, or hard?
I would recommend taking him to the vet to have that checked out. They can aspirate some fluid from that area to determine if there is an infection going on.
What type & brand of UVB light are you using, a tube bulb or a compact/coil light? How far is it from him?

Tracie

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I use the reptisun 10.0 tube He can get within 8" of it. Basking spot is 105-106. Cool side is around 80. He is eating normally for this time of year. He is a little slower in winter.

The lump is soft to the touch.

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I really haven't thought about it until now but I had him in his rubbermaid container when I was cleaning his cage three days ago and he figured out how to get out of it. The sides are pretty tall but he managed to jump and climb out and I put him back in but he did it three times because he realized he could. I just let him roam as I finished up and kept an eye on him. Our main floor is beardie proof as I like to let him out to get exercise once or twice a week. I wonder if he bruised himself as is just hiding the pain. He is still eating and basking. Poop is normal. His color is good.

I don't see any marks on his neck and there was only a few crix in the cage (with veggies in there with them as I change them every morning but leave them in overnight just in case one or two crickets were hiding.) I think it is more likely he hurt himself climbing out of the container. Any thoughts. I am still waiting to see when the vet can look at him next week. (I don't have the $$ for emergency).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The lighting distance is fine, that is good. It is a remote possibility he could have hurt himself, but they don't really show bruising like we do. As you know they are masters of hiding pain & illness too.
So you are going to take him to the vet next week to have them take a look at it?
It could just be a localized infection from an injury, possibly. It is so hard to know exactly what it could be without looking at it first.
At least his color is still good & he is eating & basking daily.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah I just have to figure out when I can get him in. Thanks for the help and support. I will keep you posted. Any other ideas in the meantime won't hurt. I can't seem to find a similar story on the net yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom