Lamp fell on Kevin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great to hear he's doing better, I know it makes you feel a lot better too. :) It won't hurt him to have a lighter meal this afternoon, or you could check for fresh shed mealworms or cut 1-2 in half. But it won't be so bad if he doesn't get a big meal. You can even offer some approved greens like turnip, mustard, collard arugula, endive and veggies like shredded squash or green beans as well.

As for the dirty splint, it will be O.K It'll dry + of course will be changed in less than 2 weeks so it won't cause any problem.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did you need me to merge your two threads for you, to keep all of the information together?

Tracie

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
A few mealworms once in a while probably won't hurt. I would also suggest getting some Repashy Grub Pie to keep around for a backup in case you run out of live bugs. It's a powder that you make into a gel. The powder has a nice long shelf life, and you can freeze the gel once you make it up, or it will keep in the fridge for a week or so. It has vitamins in it and helps with hydration, and most beardies really like it.

I was kind of wondering how that splint was going to get along with poop, and I guess that answers my question. But I'm glad he seems to be recovering.

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":1ve2rqdg said:
A few mealworms once in a while probably won't hurt. I would also suggest getting some Repashy Grub Pie to keep around for a backup in case you run out of live bugs. It's a powder that you make into a gel. The powder has a nice long shelf life, and you can freeze the gel once you make it up, or it will keep in the fridge for a week or so. It has vitamins in it and helps with hydration, and most beardies really like it.

I was kind of wondering how that splint was going to get along with poop, and I guess that answers my question. But I'm glad he seems to be recovering.

1st thing I asked when they brought him back to me was how's he gonna poo?! Lol. He's doing pretty good with it so far. There's just a tad bit on the splint. Still gross tho.

I have been looking everywhere for the Grub Pie & can't seem to find any. Definitely need to get some for worst case scenarios or to just switch it up for him occasionally.

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well Kevin has had a rough day...

He has barely eaten, but is eating a little. 5 crickets & 4 calciworms. He had a poo that was completely runny & nasty. He hasn't done much & just downright looks rough. I could swear his eyes look very droopy, sunken & just not as alert as normal. His splint already seems to be slipping so I'll be calling the vet in the morning h probably taking him in to have it redone & just altogether accessed to make sure he's looking ok.

I keep having ups & downs where I convince myself everything is normal, just a rough time, then others I'm convinced something more is going on.

It's definitely not going easy for either of us.

Probably won't update until there is something new to report. I'm so tired of stressing over everything. Not good for me right now.

He did a bit of glass surfing a minute ago, so I took him out & changed his newspaper & weighed him just for an excuse to mess with him. When I tried to set him back down, he turned & held onto my hand. He wants to be held, I think, but idk if it's a good idea to mess with him too much. I hate it. We used to hang out a lot.

3magpie3

I would try to not over-analyze everything. Even a human with a broken leg would be all screwy right now. His behavior should not be expected to be normal. You're doing a great job and obviously care for him deeply!

I don't see why you couldn't be holding him as long as you can be sure he won't jump off of you....

You can get the Repashy online!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would try to get that UVB tube bulb mounted directly overhead of Kevin, instead of being
mounted on the back wall. The UVB light refracts outward too much, so he wont get enough
exposure without it being focused on going towards him.
So he is doing better this evening? Poor guy, he has been through an ordeal, but I think he will
heal up fairly quickly because he is so young.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":1o78guek said:
Hello,

I would try to get that UVB tube bulb mounted directly overhead of Kevin, instead of being
mounted on the back wall. The UVB light refracts outward too much, so he wont get enough
exposure without it being focused on going towards him.
So he is doing better this evening? Poor guy, he has been through an ordeal, but I think he will
heal up fairly quickly because he is so young.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Ok, I'll work on that today. Definitely want him soaking up his rays right now!

He was pretty lethargic all day yesterday, around 6:30 he started looking really bad & I couldn't resist. I got him out and let him chill on my hand & belly for a little while. I like to think he was loving it. He was watching my daughter dance around & just looking at stuff. He was perked up instead of just laying his head down & his happy colors showed. He didn't try to run around or anything, thank goodness. I think he's just really bummed out about being stuck in that tiny bare cage.

I'm gonna call his vet when they open & tell them how much his splint has slid & see if i should take him to redo it. Money is real tight now after the hefty 1st visit & Christmas so I kinda hope she says it's fine but I can spare the $20 if need be. I'm also gonna point out how he is acting in the cage vs out & see if it'd be ok to adjust anything.

I just turned on his lights & he's alive so we made it thru another day! Yay!

I'm so glad I found this community back when I did or I'd be a real mess right now lol! Thank you everyone. And thanks for the merge! Much easier now!

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I order my Repashy Grub Pie (as well as my UV lights) online from Dr Foster & Smith. (None of the local stores carry it around here.) I've had pretty good luck with them. I get a lot of extra spam, usually about discounts that expire almost immediately so if you don't need something right now, they're just annoying, but that's what "delete" is for. :roll:

Kevin will probably have his good days and his bad days as he recovers. If he seems to enjoy cuddling I'd say indulge him. As you say, the small sparsely furnished "hospital tank" is probably no fun, so anything to make his life a little more enjoyable in the meantime...

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you, I will order some Grub Pie this weekend.

Just dropped Kevin off at the vet. I called & they said bring him in to redo it. The vet that originally treated him isn't there today but another is that is actually the name listed on herpvetconnection.com so that's ok. They are super busy tho so I had to just drop him off to be fit in whenever. I don't like that lol. But his splint is nearly off & causing his tail to be out to the side, so definitely needed to be done.

Little guy is gonna put us in the poor house if we gotta make this trip every 5days & pay!

KevinsMama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ahhhhhhh! It's been 2 hours since I dropped him off! It's taking forever... luckily, we are in South Florida so we just went 10mins up the road to the beach but even that gets boring after a few minutes... I hope they haven't forgotten about him lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom