Lake rocks ok to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I live near Lake Erie and was wondering if it's ok to use a rock from there and also what process should I use to clean it? Bleach? Oven? Both?
I just want to make sure I avoid passing anything on. Also, how frequently do I need to sanitize it? Amusei will 97% of the time only go to the bathroom in his bath.

Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Bleach will work. You need to be careful baking rocks in the oven. If there is any trapped moisture in the rock it can turn to steam and cause explosive pressures if it builds up in the rock.

You can bake branches and logs safely though.

-Brandon

Amuseismom

Original Poster
I am glad I asked! I would be blowing the house up cooking a rock with my luck.
There are lots of beautiful pieces of driftwood I can also get too. Maybe I better just bleach the rock and see if he even likes it before putting it in his house. Just because I think it has pretty coloring he might not.

Thanks a bunch!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Depends on the type of rock.

If it's porous , soaks up liquid , I'd simply leave them outside on the grass for a few weeks to dry out, then give them a good rub with some sandpaper to remove any scum and algae and dried sllme,
then sterilize using F10 made up 1:250 and give it a few soaks to kill any bacteria on it's surface.
Essentially spray the diluted F10 on , let it air dry ( 30 mins to 1 hour ) , then repeat.

Drift wood , see above.

If it's nonporous , I'd give them a good scrub to remove any algae and slime , then sterilize using F10 made up 1:250 and give it a few soaks to kill any bacteria on it's surface.
Essentially spray the diluted F10 on , let it air dry ( 30 mins to 1 hour ) , then repeat.

Then you'll be good to go.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hiya,

First of all, nice to see another great lakes person. :)
I'm up in Michigan, used to work with water samples from Lake Erie for my job during undergraduate (I was looking at viruses and free-living fungi at the time).

For cleaning object like this I always recommend treating them the same way I would in a lab, but that's likely because I'm a lab person, lol. First wash them with clean water and a brush to remove any dirt/debris from the surface, then soak for a few minutes (5-10) in a low-concentration bleach wash (about a tablespoon per gallon of water should work, that's slightly stronger than you would use for baby bottles, etc. You could probably go up to 10% safely, but if you're in the great lakes region there's probably going to be a relatively low abundance of reptile pathogens to be concerned about with your BD). Remove from bleach solution and rinse completely 3-6 times with clean water. Finally, submerge in water treated with 1.5-2 times the recommended amount of reptisafe or similar product. Finally, drain and lay on a dry, absorbent surface in a single layer and allow to air-dry for 24-48 hours. Ideally, this would be done under sunlight.

There's a lot of products out there that would work great, though, like the F10 someone recommended.

Another really good option would be boiling them for 10 minutes in a large, sturdy pot after scrubbing them free of dirt/debris and then allowing them to cool and air dry.

Hope this helps,
-Ellen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom